Chapter 25

---Nadir's POV---

Hope.

Hope was a sick, twisted thing. Easily replaced with despair, but also something that could push you beyond your limits.

I now found it kindling a fire in my heart. A hope, a desire to be able to survive and see what tomorrow would bring. I knew this had been the intention of Carson when he pointed at his men.

Started divulging secrets that probably hardly saw the light of day. It didn't make sense that the others suddenly started providing their backstories, at least, not without a reason.

I suppose that my outlook on life had been extremely grim. Where I had cast out all hope of survival, had already planned when and how I'd die without any wish or desire for something more.

The scars on my back and wrists burned viciously, as if mocking my newly found courage. Trying to avert me from the path I had chosen.

Even now, approaching Mercer's city, there was not a hint of fear in my body. Instead, there was a deep calmness, covering me like a soothing balm.

Perhaps I couldn't accurately describe what I wanted to become. I had no physical dreams like I had when I was a child, where I wanted to make my family proud, perhaps secure a high paying job so I could support my parents.

Now, my aspirations were vague at best. I knew I wanted to survive and think of a brighter future. But nothing was set in stone yet.

Still... It was weird to approach Mercer's city, see the gates loom in the distance and be at peace. To not worry about the guards patrolling the walls, not having to fear for my life.

That was a sharp contrast compared to when Mercer had dragged me here against my will. How he had bragged and taken great delight in trying to destroy my spirit, my very soul and failed time and time again.

Now I was walking into the lion's den willingly, nowhere near armed enough should the guards turn against us. But I simply smiled, enjoying the stunned looks from Carson and his men when I didn't avert my horse, didn't even attempt to try and hide my presence.

A few of the guards at the gates spotted our rather large company, brows frowning as hands dipped to their weapons. Prepared to take them out if things took a bad turn.

And yet I ignored all that, approaching the guards with a gentle smile, holding my hands in clear sight. "Lady Ishtar has invited me in the hopes of aiding her partner." I announced before motioning to Carson and his men. "These are hired guards, as I had to travel a long distance on dangerous paths."

The guards shared a look and I knew I was stretching things. Sure, it wasn't that unbelievable to hire mercenaries for protection, but such a vast crew?

Carson shrugged as he brought his horse to a standstill beside mine. "He stumbled into us when we just finished a larger assignment. We figured it be easier to finish the task together than sent the entire crew scattering over the country."

A few of the guards shared a few looks and a noncommitted shrug before one of them called out. "Do you have proof of your claim?" He motioned towards their surroundings as he added "Anyone could claim they were invited by the masters of the land."

"I have a letter in my pocket." I said with a questioning look before reaching down when the guard nodded and approached.

The man briskly approached and accepted the letter, checking the wax sealing on it before reading the contents. His expression cleared the more he read, before tucking his weapon aside.

"Aadab arz hai. Aryan, guide them to the palace, quickly!" The guard stated with a hand gesture, to which I nodded in acceptance and guided Tahir to follow the guard, who rushed ahead while shouting at the people to make way.