Chapter 2

---Carson's POV---
The doors slammed harshly against the walls as I pushed past them, several servants jumping at the sound before they scurried out of my way. Heavy thumps sounded behind me as Mord'u followed, chuckling from deep within his chest. I glared at my right hand, whom only found it all the more amusing.

"One of these days, you'll end up gutting one of those rich bastards." Mord'u stated, his tone leaving no doubt that he was only partially joking. One of the guards raised a brow but quickly looked away when Mord'u widened his stance and looked him down. I was glad he had followed me into town though; as soon as I had ventured into the palace, I had been welcomed by Seamus and guided through his house.

The fat, greedy man was obviously trying to impress me with his wealth and position, making a show of flashing the rubies and sapphires that were encrusted into his countless rings.

I had been guided through lush gardens with enormous fountains, maids offering me the finest of foods and most expensive wines, lust and fear clerly visible in their eyes. All the while my ears were asaulted by the blabbering fat sheik as he went on and on about being an honest business man and that the thief was wrecking everything

Eventually my annoyance had gone through the roof and I had demanded to know our mission.

The sheik's ego deflated as he stuttered a few times before explaining that he didn't know who started the rumours, only that they were ruining his business. That accompanied by the theft of several highly important documents had clearly irked the annoying man into contacting me.

"I don't know what was more anoying, the fact that he was as demanding as a toddler or the pungent scent of his so called perfume." I sneered, glaring at the guards when they fumbled to open the gate to the city. Mord'u's deep chuckle rumbled through the dark hallway, bouncing off the walls and succeeding in making me relax.

The sunlight poured against the bright paints of the fresco's on the walls inside the sheik's house, a sharp contrast to the dull brown walls outside. Mord'u nodded, his eyes growing cold and calculating as he pointedly glanced back to the palace. "Its weird that there's such poverty under the commoners while the sheik himself isn't struggling at all."

I sneered, glaring at the highly decorated and high maintenance walls and lush gardens surrounding the pallace. "Wouldn't be surprised if we stumbled upon a collection of wild animals." Mord'u nodded his agreement with a disgruntled hum, dark eyes flickering over the walls before he glanced back at me.

"Let's get back to camp, figure out who is framing our client and what their motives are." I grumbled, stalking down the street. My shoulders sagged as every tense muscle slowly relaxed when I stepped further away from the corrupted city and closer to my trusted gang.

My heart slowly calmed down as I made my way through the camp, eyes scanning the surroundings and smiling as everything was perfectly in order. The tents were set up, horses settled at a make-shift stable with througs, water included.

I smiled and nodded as a few of my men walked in the camp, one of them I've sent out to spy on the city. His eyes wandered over the encampment, a frown on his face that forced me to stop.

Gale never frowned... he was the best spy in my group and could sneak into a party and mingle with the guest in such a way that nobody could recall him being there. I've only once seen him frown and that was when he almost, almost got caught.

"Gale?"

He flinched slightly, the tone of my voice meant business and he sighed deeply, dark brown eyes filled with both anoyance and worry. Giving his bottom lip one last worried bite, Gale sighed before shaking his head.