Chapter Four

The next time Wanda visits your cell it's to finally lead you out of it, with the assurance that you won't have to return there for so long as your fangs stay far from everyone's necks. Instead you sip happily on the blood pouch she brought, magically warmed like the last one. The fact makes you smile as you watch her lead you through the compound's maze of corridors.

"Here is where we train," she points to a cavernous gym room, filled with expensive-looking equipment. It's hard not to notice the distrustful glances you draw from some of the agents within, glaring back at you through the windows.

"And over here..." she says as she leads you further on, "is the communal kitchen.

"Not that I'll be using that much."

"I wouldn't be so sure." There's a slyness to her smile that instantly piques your curiosity. "Check that fridge."

When the door opens, you're greeted by a neat row of blood pouches stocked in a drawer by themselves. After decades of restricted access to blood, having your own little drawer is almost enough to bring tears to your eyes.

"There's more in the freezer," Wanda adds, prompting you to check.

Inside you find a collection of deep red popsicles. The scent alone tells you they are blocks of blood, frozen into childish shapes.

Wanda fiddles with her rings. "It was just a silly idea, but I thought you might like them."

"You made them yourself?"

By this point, the squeamish nose scrunch she makes is almost expected. The thought of her pouring the liquid out into moulds, all while grimacing and trying to avoid spills, creates an undeniable warmth in your chest.

"Consider it my way of welcoming you to the team," she says with the slightest blush.

Adorable.

"Well, consider me welcomed," you mutter, somewhat overcome by affection. "Thank you, I mean it."

You find yourself holding her gaze, trapped between the earnest sincerity of your words and the gentle lilt of her smile. Her eyes shine with something indefinable. All you know is it feels like electricity passing through you, jumping from her skin to yours.

The moment shatters only when she finally shakes her head, shedding the tension from her body. "Uhm, the command room is this way. We're meeting Fury there."

She wraps her arms around herself before heading for the exit, as if trying to hold a sudden rush of emotions inside herself. You can do little else but nod, and fall into step beside her.

Fury's voice is audible long before you see him. It echoes from behind the closed doors at the end of the hallway as he addresses the rest of the team.

"I'm sure you're all curious about our new guest."

You glance at Wanda, wondering if she can hear him too, but her nonchalance seems to indicate your heightened senses are picking up the words from further afield. 

"Russian spy, I'm calling it now." Another voice chimes in.

And then another. "We already have one of those."

"She's a vampire." Fury ends their speculation before it can begin, and a wave of silence follows. You can only imagine the stunned faces staring back at him.

"I'm sorry, did you say vampire?" The first stranger's voice questions. "As in the mythical, fanged, undead variety?"

"Wait, I didn't miss the relevation that vampires are real while I was on ice, did I?"