Escape

A/N: We're just gonna skip over Morrowseer's visit because he plays a very important part in the story later on. Stay tuned!

   When Starflight woke up from his nap, he found that the caves were silent. He didn't even hear Tsunami and Glory arguing. That was weird. He left his sleeping nook and went to the main cave. He looked around. It was completely deserted. He listened. No voices, in the caves or his mind were heard. Then, he heard claws scrabbling on the rock, a sure sign that one dragon was here, at least.

    Suddenly, a wave of visions washed over him. It was like someone was splitting his head open with a knife. Collapsing onto the floor, he saw Tsunami swimming in a river with a determined look on her face. He saw red and orange dragons, Skywings, capturing the dragonets. Worst of all, he saw the Skywings taking them to an arena of some sort, with rows and rows of stands and cages high in the sky, surrounded by chainmail.

    Clay turned the corner, looking worried. "Three moons, Starflight! Are you OK? What happened?" Slowly, the pain went away. Starflight shook his head and got up. Starflight knew that he couldn't tell Clay what had happened. "It was just a headache from battle practice. Where are Tsunami and Glory?"

    Clay paced the cave, looking worried. "That's what I was going to ask you! I haven't seen them anywhere or heard them. It's like they just vanished. Maybe Kestrel and Dune took them somewhere."

    Starflight knew that the chances of Kestrel and Dune taking the dragonets anywhere was almost zero. He got to thinking. They wouldn't leave without telling us...would they? They would tell us if they were going anywhere...unless they didn't have the choice. 

    Starflight checked all of the caves looking for signs of struggle. Sure enough, there were claw and scorch marks on the walls and floors. The boulder was closed though, so the dragonets couldn't get out...except for the river, which Starflight had seen Clay drown in.

    Suddenly, Starflight heard a splash in the river. He peered over but didn't see anything. Then, as he was just returning to the main cave, he heard a voice. 

   "Psst. Hey, Starflight. It's me, Glory." Starflight nearly jumped out of his scales and turned around. He couldn't see anything, but the voice had come from somewhere around there.

    "I'm down here, in the river."  Starflight once again peered over but didn't see a single scale. "I'm invisible. Listen, Tsunami is working her way down the river and is going to meet us outside. We just need to go through the river. Come hide with me in the river, tell Clay too." Starflight stood at the riverbank. "Wait, wait. First off, you're INVISIBLE!?  Why didn't you tell us that? Second, escape? Do you know how much bad stuff there is out there? The queens will probably just capture us and use us to win the war!"

    Glory scoffed. "Don't you hate being trapped in these miserable caves with nothing but rock? Don't you want to be free? For Dune and Kestrel to stop bossing you around? Come on Starflight, don't be a scaredy-scales and jump in the river!"

    Starflight hesitated, then ran to go tell Clay. As he rounded the corner, he shouted out. "Clay, Glory is here! We're escaping! Come on and get in the river!" Clay looked blank, but followed Starflight into the river.

    Just then, the guardians stomped into the cave. Kestrel roared. "Go wake the runts up and get them into battle training. NOW!" Dune and Webs scurried off into the sleeping caves. "Uh-oh," Glory whispered. "When they find out that we're gone, they'll start looking for us. We'd better go."

    They silently slipped away into the underground river while Kestrel started stomping around the main cave. After what seemed like an hour of swimming, the dragonets finally made it outside.

    Starflight beat his wings and looked around for Tsunami. He hadn't realized how much freer he felt while flying. It felt good to spread his wings and not be trapped inside stone caves. Glory was right. This was better.

    Then, he saw why he didn't want to go in the first place.  A squadron of  orange dragons was winging towards them, with a red one wearing a crown in the lead. When they got closer, the red dragoon stopped and smiled creepily.

    "Hello there! I've been waiting for you. My name is Queen Scarlet, and you are my prisoners."