10 | Incorrigible

During your short time acting as a sorcerer, you've learned there's very little to celebrate, so when someone makes Grade 1 rank, they throw a celebratory party in their honor, since most don't tend to make it this far alive. You're just lucky, apparently.

From what Satoru told you, the clans will send gifts as an acknowledgment of your success, a lot of people will show up just to drink, let loose and socialize and expect plenty of people to show up just to meet you.

Speaking of Satoru, you haven't spoken to him since the weekend you went shopping with Shoko and Utahime. He's reached out to you a few times, sending his normal messages asking you to hang out, all have gone unanswered.

At the school, you've done your best to avoid him, picking up missions with Nanami rather than resuming training with Satoru. You're trying not to let Suguru's words weigh you down, and to not think too hard about the conversation you had with Shoko and Utahime either.

Satoru was right, a plethora of people have shown up to meet and greet you, or to check in and see those they know but haven't seen in some time. Nanami told you this was a great way to network and meet others within their community, more faces to names and people to call, should you ever run into trouble. He arrived with you, pointed out those who work for the school, and those who are within the clans who just ogle you as if you were about to sprout a second head just because they don't understand what you are

Whoever planned this event really outdid themselves - it's held in one of the nicer traditional style buildings, in the dining hall with a view out to a lantern lit garden. There's more food out on trays and platters than you've ever seen in your life, more deserts than you ever thought you would lay eyes on too. That part was most likely organized by Satoru, judging by the decadent options, all with little gold flakes in them just for the aesthetic.

And the fact that you're not speaking with him certainly didn't deter him from sending someone to your place to pick you up and take you to a day spa hours before the ceremony so you could relax and get your hair and nails done. It was a sweet gesture. You're trying to not think too much about it.

You've been here for hours, in the dining hall, getting gifts from the clans, mainly various types of weapons, and chatting with Nanami, Shoko and Utahime. Suguru arrived a while ago, alone from what you could tell. He hasn't said much to you, but he did tell you congratulations with that smile that makes his eyes close. Since the night of the mission, you haven't been able to see him in the same light. Where before you always thought he had a calming aura, now all you can feel is his obvious distaste towards you.

His best friend is nowhere to be seen. You may be currently avoiding him, but you were still hoping to see him here tonight, even if it's an unfair expectation.

Currently, you're in the dining hall, listening to two old women from clans you've never heard of drone on and on about the best, most eligible bachelors (and a few bachelorette's) they have to offer. You're in the black dress you bought from your weekend shopping trip. It didn't fit quite right when you finally tried it on, so you did end up getting it tailored. Now, it sits on your hips and pinches your waist in the most alluring way, paired with the black strappy heels Satoru found.

When the two ladies first approached you, Nanami came to your side, handing you a drink saying "you'll need this," before adjusting his tie and walking away, clearly wanting to have no part in the conversation they were about to put you in.

Plenty of people have been watching you, even more have spoken to you, some with kind smiles and a shake of their hand, others leering at you and eyeing you in ways you'd rather forget. But none have been quite as pushy as these clan matrons.