Chapter 17: Before the Battle Begins

Copyright © 2017, Nikki B. Lourie if you are reading this work on any other domain than Wattpad, it has been plagiarized.

"Where are we?" Rogue asked as she peered up into the vast night sky. The stars shined brighter than ever before. Each twinkle was special and magical as if it was for her eyes only.

"Home," Priscilla replied. It had been far too long since she was last home. Her heart ached at all the time she had missed. She could feel every cell in her body rejoicing, welcoming in the beauty and majesty of everything surrounding them. In the human world, nature was deemed an inanimate object. The wind blew when necessary. The rain fell in its season. Everything made sense and nothing was out of order. But here, there was no season of rain. It fell when it wanted to fall, each individual droplet singing songs of joy and harmony.

Even the wind spoke, often times it caressed and enveloped like a warm embrace. Her world was a place of love and understanding. Every element, from the mountains to the leaves, and even grains of sand were alive and vibrant with energy. How she missed all of this. "Ah!" she cried out, her body hugging the rich soil as pain coursed along her back.

"Grandma? What's wrong?" Rogue stated, rushing to her side.

Priscilla coughed, spittle raining from her lips as her back arched and bent. The taut skin of her back between her rhomboids began to separate on both sides. Fine, smooth feathers protruded, the clothes on her back tearing as her wings began to emerge. "What's happening?"

"It's okay," Faeona reassured her. "It's her wings. She's reclaiming her rightful place as the Grand Fairy," he explained.

Rogue hugged Priscilla and gently rocked her as they waited for the inevitable to occur. "It's okay. You got this," she told her, encouragingly, watching in awe and wonder as the wings sprouted, stretching outward as if reaching for the sky. Priscilla's long nails dug into her arms and with a guttural cry, her wings proudly shot the remainder of the way out of her body. White feathers rained gently to the ground while the Grand Fairy panted from exertion. She had forgotten the painful price she had to pay for her wings.

Upon her banishment, she had endured the painful plucking of her wings, the sensation of each singular feather falling lifelessly burned worse than the hottest fire. It felt as if her soul was being snatched out of her body. It was an experience akin to death itself. Though the regrowth of her wings had been painful, Priscilla welcomed the short-lived pain knowing that the joy of being restored to her former glory was quickly approaching.

Trembling, her eyes opened as she deeply inhaled and released a shivering breath. "All is well," Priscilla reassured Rogue.

"But you're bleeding..." she fretted.

"Blood is life," she simply remarked, softly squeezing Rogue's hand. Spryte and Faeona stood beside her admiring her large wings. As if sensing their eyes, Priscilla stood to her feet, her wings clasped to her body. With a warm smile, she flapped them, ruffling her feathers and stretching them proudly. Rogue gasped, her eyes filled with awe at the pristine, falling feathers. Each one glowed wonderfully causing her eyes to sparkle. She attempted to visually measure the wingspan and surmised that it was the width of at least four humans with their arms outstretched.

"You are the grand fairy indeed," she praised. She watched Priscilla's blood continue to trickle down the expanse of her wings covering them in red and creating a protective seal that became invisible. That's right, Grandma was reclaiming the person she used to be. She was taking her authority. Softly touching the necklace around her neck, Rogue felt the urge to know her history more than ever.