~Chapter 3: Hello, Lady Death~

~•~•~•~•~•~•~•~•~•~•~•~•~•~•~•~•~•~•~•~•~•
Loki startled himself awake. The kitchen was still silent. It was almost deafening. Almost too quiet. He looked down at his daughter, gasping quietly. She was drenched in sweat, shudders running up and down her spine. The circles around her eyes were much darker, standing out against her incredibly pale face. Her cheekbones showed, causing Loki to fear that they would puncture her skin. Her hair was knotty. Her fingers plucked at the towel, her lips closing and parting as she slept in the embrace of a feverish dream. When Loki looked up, his grip on her tightened. Lady Death stood there, crouched down near them, her stained skirt billowing around her like dark water. A cold hand lingered on her head, causing Sprite to give a small moan in her sleep. The stench of earth and rot and damp made Loki throw up in his mouth a little bit, trying to bite down on a gag. He laid his own hand on her head, surprised at the intense heat that radiated from her. He stood clumsily, and summoned a cool compress. He draped it across her head, and went to fetch another bottle of water. Death watched him intently, her hands folded in her lap. He turned to her, gritting his teeth. Her souless eyes were almost daring him. Mocking him. "Go, please, just go..." He pleaded. She stood reluctantly, and turned away, her skirt brushing the floor, the sound resembling dry leaves. He watched as she walked into the cloud of darkness, the inky black space consuming her thin, rattling form. Hopefully she'd slink back to where she came, but he wouldn't count on it, Loki thought morbidly as he held a vial with clear liquid to her lips. He'd been more than surprised the day he found his magic was valid in the TVA. He had found out through accidentally knocking over a mug of one of the worker's, merely causing the man to scowl at him, unaware that it was Loki's magic that was responsible. Sprite too, had been just as shocked after days of rendering themselves helpless. She too, grasped at her powers, and was thirsty enough for them to be able to use them in the TVA alongside him. And all without being caught. They were still unsure of how or why they were able to use their abilities for their own pleasure and necessity, while so many other could not. He had suspicions, but refused to share them with anyone else. Now, he kneeled down before his weakened girl, placing a hand to her hot cheek, his hand cool and welcoming against her searing skin, which was aflame, the fire refusing to be doused. "Can you hear me?" He asked her in a whisper. The girl barely nodded. He pinched her finger, and looked back up at her. "Can you feel that?" Sprite shook her head. Loki felt his heart leap to his throat. "C-cold..." she whimpered. Loki tucked a strand of hair behind her ear. "Oh, my sweet pet." She shivered once more. "This is my fault..." her eyes grew wet, the tears threatening to spill down her cheeks. "Shhhh. Dry those lovely eyes of yours. This is not your fault." He took her trembling hands in his. "Let me hold your hands until they start feeling again. Lean against me." The younger girl did so, her eyes fluttering. "I can't rest," she croaked. "Whyever not?" "We need to get Sylvie..." her voice came out in a whisper. He stroked her hair aside, brushing the strands away from her sweaty face. How he wished there was a bath near here. There probably was- all those TVA workers couldn't possibly have went for so many years without bathing. Then again, anything was possible. "My poor girl," he murmured. "My poor, sick Sprite..." He wrapped her in his arms, and picked her up, adjusting her in his arms. He headed out of the kitchen and away from the darkness, where he knew lady Death was still lurking, sneering at them from her place in the shadows. First, he'd have to figure out where all the TVA's "incredible workers" took shelter after a long, tiring day. Then he'd figure out his next steps.
~•~•~•~•~•~•~•~•~•~•~•~•~•~•~•~•~•~•~•~•~•