- ɴᴇᴠᴇʀ ɢᴇᴛᴛɪɴɢ ʙᴀᴄᴋ ᴛᴏɢᴇᴛʜᴇʀ [ ᴀɪɢᴇʀ ]

— humorous childhood best friends/exes —

———

"YOU HAVE RUINED MY DATING LIFE."

"Wh—"

       Aiger had just opened the door and stepped one of his tattered-sock and shoe adorning foot into the living room. 

       "What the actual f—"

Aiger Akabane had just returned home from a trip to the British Isles where his good friend, Xavier, resides all over.

       For the past five months, he had traveled all over the globe to explore the cultures and train under the best of the best trainers in the world.  During those trips, the Scarlet Supernova made sure to pay all of his old friends a visit and to make sure that they are still
missing him,

       Aiger had just gotten off several, long, excruciating connected flights.

       With a backpack stuffed full of souvenirs over his shoulder and a hand lugging behind another one, all he wanted to do was sleep.

Out of everything, he did not expect his childhood ex from a decade ago (it sounds really old, but he is currently fifteen) sitting on his family couch upside down and the wrong way round with their feet propped up on the wall.

"WHY'RE YOU IN MY HOUSE?!"

"Your mum let me in."

Perks of your parents being friends with your parents that introduced their kid to you and you both became friends.

Y/N rolled themselves upright on the couch, stomach on the cushion and knees bent against the back of the couch. In their hands, they held their ultimate dating tool.

The phone.

"This is a crisis." they groan.

"What's up?" Aiger asked—in the midst of kicking off his shoes at the door.

"Let me repeat myself," Y/N set their phone facedown on the couch; still grasping it firmly. "you have absolutely tarnished my chances of ever dating again."

"Bro," Aiger set his bag on the ground (as well as practically everything else he was carrying). "What the heck did I do?"

"Literally no one believes that we don't like each other anymore!"

"It was a one week relationship in elementary school—" Aiger himself was flabbergasted at the...kinda strange news as well.  "What did they gather from that?!"

The red one plopped himself on the couch next to his friend—who pulled up their phone to show him their recent text messages with who they hoped could have been their potential suitors (well, up until this very moment).

"They still have that video of the wedding?" Aiger groaned—very much exaggerated and slouching his spine.

"I mean, you do look very dashing in a wedding dress."

"I know I do—" Aiger nodded along, hand on his chin while reminiscing fondly. "BUT ITS BEEN LIKE A WHOLE DECADE SINCE THAT! You'd think they would've forgotten that by now or somethin'!  Sheesh."

Y/N tapped on a contact. "Okay look.  This one person I found by that café at the end of Tsukansami
Road said that there is no way we are actually broken up."

"...are you just collecting potential partners like Pokémon—"

"That is beside the point."

"Okay okay," Aiger pats the air like he's trying to back away from a hostile creature. "Stare into my eyes."

"Why in the ever-loving fuck would I do th—""

"My platonic soulmate, lil' buddy, ol' pal, best friend from an unrelated kin—" Aiger set a firm hand on their shoulder. "we need to check and prove them wrong."

"Are you challenging me to a staring contest?—" Y/N blinked a few times.  "you realize I never lose those, right?"

"Ready, set—GO!"

And so, the stare-off began.

       Y/N partially dozed off during the first few minutes.

       Do I harbor feelings for Aiger?

It's not like Aiger wasn't attractive to them or anything.  Y/N obviously knows that—they practically grew up together since his mum was over so often to meet with their guardian over tea and biscuits.

       Y/N squinted their eyes by a tad.

Aiger held open his eyes with his index finger and thumb, black pupil vibrating intensely.

Still no spark.

Their short 'romantic' relationship was a blast as well.  Ice cream from the small trucks driving by after school everyday, Y/N teaching Aiger how to ice skate to the best of their abilities that five years olds contain.

It was fun while it lasted.

The reason they broke up in elementary is because one of their comic books went missing and they both thought the other had something to do with it.

But that only lasted for two seconds before Aiger found it under another comic book.

After that, they just forgot to get back together.

"AH-HA!" Y/N snapped their fingers, pointing them at Aiger—who ferociously rubbed his eyes. "You blinked!"

"Still no butterfly feelings?" Aiger exclaimed.

"Still a no!"

"Perfect—because otherwise it'd be really awkward!"

Y/N shut their phone off, tossing it to the other side of the couch. They rubbed both their eyes with one palm lazily, sliding it down their face in a dragged manner.

   "It's so nice to just talk to someone." Y/N smiled. "I'm glad we're still friends."

"You're better than me—" Aiger scoffed, rolling his eyes instantaneously. "—I'm sick of your ass barging in every night."

"I take what I said back—"

"BRUH—" Aiger flipped himself over towards Y/N like a fish out of watet. "NO TAKE-BACKSIES, TAKE-BACKER!"

"MIMIMMIMIIMI—IF I CAN'T HEAR YOU IT DOESN'T EXIST—MIMMIIMMIMIMI—"

———