Chapter 3 - "Perhaps more than friends?"

Evelyn's pov:

At the end of my first day at Rosehill, I'd managed to make a few friends. I won't say we're close yet, but they did invite me to hangout with them after they saw me in English class sitting alone. They're really nice to me, and if I don't have anyone to hangout with in the week, they told me I'd be welcome to stay with them.

I kept an eye out for Gabbi all day, but didn't see her until lunch were I caught her looking at me, before looking down calmly as if nothing ever happened. I went back to eating my lunch, mildly confused about why she had been looking at me. Then my anxiety started acting up by in my mind questioning my actions and behavior since entering the great dining hall of Rosehill.

"Why was she starting at you? Were you slouching? Was your hair messed up?"

Those were some of the thoughts racing through my mind. But as I usually do in public, I carried on eating my food with my new found friends like my mind was blank, perhaps altering my posture slightly. I distracted myself by engaging in the ongoing conversation. It seemed to help a bit.

The rest of the day flew past me extremely quickly and the next thing I know I'm walking towards El's car in the parking lot. I'm walking out of the school building while talking to a friend I made. We casually say goodbye as I get into the passenger seat of the car and toss my backpack to the backseat and then put my seatbelt on.

Eleanor drives out of the parking lot and then starts asking me about my day while taking a loud sip from her water bottle.

"Sooo, how was school? Did you become a rich idiot?"

I sarcastically look at her with a board look on my face and use an annoying, entitled accent.

"Omg, I can't even believe you're talking to me, do you know who my parents are? I should sue you.." "And get me an iced coffee." I smile and look at Eleanor. We both start laughing and she reciprocates my sarcasm.

"Oh I'm sorry Ms. Asshole, shall I rub your feet to while I'm at it?"

We continued making jokes and laughing the rest of the way back to our house.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

When we a couple minutes later arrive at our home, we decide to make grilled cheese sandwiches together while actually catching up on each other's school days.

I sit down on one of the barstools by the kitchen island while watching Eleanor go over to the fridge and bring out the bread, cheese and butter. She brings it over to a pan that's heating up on the gas range.

"I made some friends after English class today."

"You did?" She asked sarcastically surprised

"I did. And then I hung out with them the rest of the day and ate with them at lunch. They're really funny!"

I preceded to telling her their names and she told me how she had been introduced by Drea to her other friends such as Tara, Montana and Megan.

"What? But aren't those the people who were with Max today?"

"This afternoon we got proof of that he leaked the video of Drea and after that her friends took Drea's side and promised to stop hanging out with him. How do you know of Max though?"

"Oh, Max is Gabbi's brother, she told me about him leaking the video."

"Who is Gabbi? Some rich snob like her brother?"

While talking she stretches her arm outward to grab two plates from a cabinet and places one golden brown sandwich on each plate.
She hands me one of the plates and sits down across from me.

"Don't say that about her! She stood up for me when Max was being an asshole." I say slightly angry

"I'll take that as a no then." She pretends to be offended "So she's your friend then?"

"Well... I don't know if you'd call it friends."

She looks up at me and smirks with her grilled cheese in her left hand.

"Perhaps more than friends?" She looks at me with anticipation, waiting for an answer.

Her question shocked me and my cheeks grew red while I tried to come up with an answer to her assumption.

"What? No! We literally met today and she's a junior!"

She laughs at my reaction. "But admit you like her. You know I don't care if you like her!"

"I'm not admitting anything, besides, it's not like she feels the same anyways. We'll probably not even talk again, let alone become friends." I take a big bite out of my grilled cheese.

"Oh, that reminds me. Me, Drea and her friends are gonna go to Maxes party on Friday to expose him in front of our class. He doesn't know that we know and he invited me along with his friends. You should come, maybe you'll meet someone you know." She winks at me and takes a bite out of her sandwich.

I have no come back, so I just roll my eyes and continue eating.

"Maybe, I'll think about it."

After doing the dishes I walked up the stairs to my bedroom and immediately throw myself onto my bed. I grabbed my headphones from my bedside table and turned on my favorite music.

But this time, it didn't sound the same. Every song now made my heart beat a little bit faster. And every song made me think of Her. I turn to my side and close my eyes, feeling the music trough my entire body.

And I can't help but smile.