Chapter 7 - This girl... (First date)

Evelyn's pov:

I run upstairs to my room to take the quickest shower ever and get dressed. I run into my bathroom to brush through my hair and apply a layer of mascara to my eyelashes and to put on my gold chain necklace. I check what time it is on my phone; 1.30. Thousands of thoughts and possible scenarios are racing through my head. "What if this is a prank and she laughs at me when I arrive?" "Am I wearing appropriate clothes?" "Does my breath stink? I shouldn't have had that old coffee I found in my room!" "What if she hates me for leaving yesterday?" "I'm gonna make a fool of myself!"

Through the midst of the chaos, I chose to wear a black tank top and a loose pair of modest, ripped, blue jeans. I'm also wearing a pair of white converse with custom pastel colored flowers covering the sides and the top of the shoes. To match my converse, my earrings are little flowers made from pink pearls in a pentagon shape. I throw on a gray hoodie and zip it up just enough for it to cover my stomach, then I grab my hand bag and head down stairs. The time is 1.38 pm so I grab the car keys, toss them over to Eleanor and we get into the car.

I can feel myself profusely sweating. "Did I put on perfume?" "She's probably gonna meet me at the cafe, look my way for a split second, a stink bomb of my sweat will hit her like a brick wall and she'll run out from the cafe crying because of my horrible sent."

"Do I smell bad?"

While still having her eyes on the road Eleanor leans over to me and takes a sniff. She sits back and raises her shoulders up and down.

"Nah, I don't think so. Although I have gotten used to your smell for the last 15 years you've haunted my existence."
She smiles, proud of her comment.

"So she might think I smell bad? Shit. Do you have a perfume?" I look around, opening every compartment and turning to check the back seat. Eleanor looks at me slightly irritated, slightly concerned.

"Woah, Chill out. You don't smell. There's a perfume sample in the glove compartment. You shouldn't be nervous, it's just a coffee date, you'll be fine."

I grab the sample and start spraying my hair, clothes and my skin. I sigh deeply.

"Thanks, I just feel so bad for leaving yesterday... And I want her to like me like I like her. She's just so cool, and hot and-"

I look out and see that we have arrived at the beach. The cafe is a small floral decorated shop that is much appreciated and known among the locals. It's located right over the beach parking lot and a road that follows the coast. From the outdoor seating between all the vines and flower bushes you have a perfect view of the waves rolling in from the ocean, and the near by basketball court. This time of day the court is usually occupied by large friend groups that come to play after swimming during the weekends or that arrive after school to play on week days.

I stop mid sentence and look out to see Gabbi sitting on her phone by one of the outdoor tables. "What time is it?" "Is she early or am I late?" It's 2.01. Oh god. Every step I take to get out of the car and closer to Gabbi is like walking towards the edge of a cliff; Your undeniable death, or in my case: heartbreak. I need to pretend to be confident and apologize for what happened yesterday. "Don't make eye contact to early. You'll look desperate."

Gabbi's pov:

I hear footsteps approaching and I look up. It's Evelyn! I instantly light up and stand up to greet her. Her eyes are pinned to the floor as if she's avoiding eye contact, but she looks up when I walk towards her. A smile finds it's way to her face.

"Hey!" I say as I move toward her indicating a hug. She hugs me back slightly unsure at first. She smelled good. Like the ocean, a sort of tropical, sweet, natural scent.