Chapter 8 - Bottoms up

Evelyn's pov:

Gabbi and I are sitting in the car. She's just backing out of the parking lot. In the side view mirror I see the crystal clear ocean and the pink sky fading into midnight blue. She looks so perfect. I can't help but smile.

It's a quiet ride home. I guess we're both consumed in our own thoughts. I pick up my phone again and read my messages. I didn't know that mom and dad were back from Europe. They must've gotten back not too long ago.

I look up and see that we're just turning in on our street. Our house looks dark, except for the lanterns in our front yard and one light that looks to be coming from our upstairs living room. Gabbi parks her car in front of our driveway,then gets out of the car and goes over to my side of the car and opens the door for me. I get out, smiling at her quickly, then turn to face her.

"Thanks for the ride, I had a really great time today."

"Of course! I had a great time too, you're really fun to hangout with." she smiles at me. I feel my cheeks going red.

She chuckles.

"If you ever need a ride, call me. Ok?"

"Ok. Thank you. Would you maybe like to hangout some time again?"

Oh no. Why did I ask that? She's gonna think I'm clingy. Why do I always need to sound so desperate?

"Sure, I'd love to!" I looked up slightly and locked eyes with her. Her smile was so sincere and she looked so warm and comforting. I felt myself getting lost in her eyes.

She chuckles, then opens her arms and pulls me in for a hug, placing her chin on my shoulder. I'm surprised, but I don't hesitate to place my arms around her. There's a second awkward silence before we pull away, I smile slightly and take a couple of steps to the path leading to the house.

"Good night!"

" Night' cutie" she winks and I chuckle.

I walk along the stone paved path that leads to the front door of my house. The large, arched widows of my families vintage inspired beach villa glisten a golden hue in the last rays of sunlight.
The light green grass covering each side of the stone path, glitter in little droplets of evening dew, the light reflects to show a cool toned, glittering projection of light across our lawn.

A cold shiver is sent through my body as the breeze carefully rocks the bushes bordering the base of the house back and forth in a soothing manner. My gaze shifts to look straight forward. On our cream colored porch I focus on the two colorful potted plants on either side of the entryway. Around the roof edge of the porch were bright green vines, wrapping around itself and blooming with eager little flower buds in all shapes and colors.

The air is slightly chillier than before and darkness is slowly taking over the multicolored sky.

I look down at my phone and see the bold numbers on my screen. 6.50 PM. I walk inside to see my parents sitting in the living room. They look upset. The fear that something has happened grows inside of me. I pace quickly over to them.

"What's happend? Is everything ok?" I look at them both as they notice I'm home.

My mom quickly replies. "Oh my goodness, where have you been? We got back from England three hours ago and expected you back for dinner." She sounds accusing.

"Mom, I was just away a few hours, it's not even dark yet. How do you expect me to know that I have a curfew when you haven't been home for almost two weeks? You missed mine and El's first day at a completely new school!"

My dad now stands up from the couch. "Evelyn don't speak back to your mother like that. We have important meetings with work that require us to travel you know this! We expect you to be able to take care of yourself and be home at a reasonable time. Eleanor shouldn't need to remind you of this."