9

"Come on, slowpokes! What's taking you so long?"

The floating sprite's energy returned as they approached the vicinity of Aaru Village. Just as they last remembered and visited, many merchants were present everywhere, and the residents were still as warm and welcoming as ever. Lumine had to quickly dodge the three children that ran past them as they played a game of tag together, laughing and squealing at each other.

"We're coming, Paimon," she called out to her as the companion floated about towards two children she had previously pointed out from afar. When they noticed our presence, their faces brightened with delight as they ran towards the Traveler.

"Look, Hilmi! It's Miss Lumi!" a little boy jumped, and his friend followed suit as they looked up at her and smiled.

"Woah, it really is you! Have you come to play with us, Miss Lumi?" his friend asked, and Lumine ruffled the two boys' hair, unconsciously letting go of the Wanderer's hand. It already felt empty, and he missed her warmth.

"It's nice to see you're doing well, Ebeid, Hilmi. I saw your commission and came here for you," she explained as the boys looked at each other, beaming with excitement.

"Yay! Did you hear that, Hilmi? Miss Lumi is gonna play with us today!"

"Yay! Come on, let's go to that warehouse over there!"

The Traveler giggled before getting dragged by the children towards the big warehouse, leaving the Wanderer and Paimon to follow suit. Well, great. She was taken away from again from him yet again, the Traveler never fails to be the receiving end of fame and admiration.

Placing his hands back in his pockets, his lips now turned into a deadpanned expression like he usually wore, and it was unfortunate that the floating companion had to be next to him yet again.

"You know, you're awfully quiet today for someone who usually talks a lot," Paimon pointed out her observation to him as he rolled his eyes.

"And you're awfully nosy as ever," he bit back with a brief retort, causing her to scoff in annoyance. "Maybe it's because you also talk so much that you keep overshadowing me,"

"Why is it so difficult to talk to you? You're always so grumpy and... and prickly! Most of the time Paimon wonders why Lumine ever keeps having you around and tolerates you," she commented before her brows creased into thought, a hand brought to her chin. "Then again..." she muttered more to herself than to him.

"Then again what?"

Jumping, she seemed to panic as she shook her head, flailing her arms in front of her before quickly placing them behind her back. "Uh— nothing! Paimon was just thinking about something," she then made the unfortunate choice of continuing to open her mouth. "...d-definitely not something related to Lumi and you and this morning when she kissed— mmngkpjj!"

The Wanderer quickly threw a hand on the floating sprite's mouth as the other kept her in place to not make her escape his grasp.

"Keep your mouth shut for once, will you?" he whispered a threat before quickly forcing a smile towards everyone around him who all seemed to stop and look at them questionably. With a nervous laugh, his eyes shifted to find an isolated corner away from many people before quickly dragging her along with him.

When he felt they were away from earshot, he finally took his hand off as Paimon took a heavy breath in, coughing dramatically before shooting daggers at him.

"What the hell was that for!?" she screeched before he raised a hand again.

"Raise your stupid annoying voice again and you don't get to talk for the rest of your life," he threatened as she squeaked.