CHAPTER 5. For the Witch is Conceited

Under the drizzle of shower, Julius weighed his options.

The cold shower helped dampen his frustration, and subsequently cooled his head.

Information.

He needed every single information he could get.

First of all, where was he?

Within his field of vision, spread a lavish bathroom.

It wasn't only the size of a chapel, but was also built using marbles. It consisted of a round, white, bathtub which could probably fit a few people, and a tall, golden, showerhead. A red rug seemingly made of quality fur was spread in the middle of the room. The bathroom seemed to have its everything constructed using precious materials.

...So much for being a hermit.

Knowing his opponent, it wouldn't be that surprising if she also possessed the ability to turn stone into gold.

Even now, Julius still couldn't fend off his frustration. He felt as if he was dancing on top of the witch's palm—even at that very moment.

In his defense, he was only seizing the opportunity to wash himself clean of any lingering traces of the witch.

Although, he indeed had to reflect upon his previous strings of actions.

He had acted based on raw emotions.

That letter probably sparked it.

As ashamed as he was to admit it, the witch was indeed correct in assuming that he wanted to deny the letter's existence.

It was as the witch had said—

—somehow, anyhow, he was hoping for the letter's content to change.

He never expected for the church to discard him that easily.

Thinking about the superiors he served, it was most likely due to the lack of oversight, or just plain ignorance on their part. They, or that one dark-skinned, rotund man in particular, was too busy kissing up the aristocrats, his potential sponsors, to actually care and give out proper solutions.

The result was the hot water Julius was in as of the present.

Not even a day has passed ever since he accepted the letter, and he had already consigned his life to the witch.

Julius exhaled—

it's for the best.

At the very least, his party members were spared from suffering the same fate.

Such was part of the deal.

As of the present, they were sent away. To a faraway place, where the witch wouldn't be able to seize a hold of them—

—and they, in return, wouldn't be able to come for him. Especially when for all they knew, their former captain quit in favor of his personal interest.

Julius collected himself.

The situation was still salvageable.

The reason was none other than the previous contract they had signed.

In the end, the witch refrained from taking a step further, and decided to leave him be.

But for what reason?

What was stopping her?

Surely, it couldn't be a mere pity.

The second rule of the contract shed light to everything.