ch 1

Thanks to your long time friendship with Odysseus, you had easily become a soldier alongside him in the war. You had worked insurmountably hard to be accepted in, seeing as you came from extremely humble beginnings. Odysseus had helped you every step of the way, from training for battle to getting fitted for armor. And now, you had finally won the war. You could go home.

That is, if the gods hadn't held such a grudge against Odysseus' army. After raiding the island of the Cicones, your ship was blown off course by Zeus himself. You had resisted the temptation of the Lotus Eaters, much to Odysseus' delight, and now you were sailing to yet another island.

'I can only hope that we have more luck here...' you thought, fiddling with your chestplate absentmindedly, '...in the land of the Cyclopes.'

After landing on the island, you and the other men of Odysseus' army quickly prepare wild goat for a meal. Odysseus quickly eats, complimenting your cooking skills, missing the light blush that dusted your cheeks.

'Odysseus.. my love for you has never wavered since the day I met you,' you think to yourself as you, Odysseus, and the men cross to the mainland.

'But you will never know. You're married, after all.' You smile sadly at your conscience's words, and your pitiful stupor was acknowledged by Elpenor, one of your only other friends before you had joined Odysseus' legion.

"What seems to be the matter, (Y/N)?" he asks you, and you shake your head.

"It is of no importance to you, Elpenor. Besides, mustn't you be walking up ahead with those in a higher rank than I?" you spat. Elpenor scoffed, mumbling something under his breath before scuttling away.

'Elpenor and I had been great friends, until he succumbed to the sweet poison of alcohol. He downs it like no other man..' You snickered to yourself, remembering how many times Elpenor had gotten drunk on ship already.

Finally, led by Odysseus, you and the men hesitantly entered a cave. You marveled at your surroundings, and the many ewes which lived in the cave. While many of the men protested, you stayed silent so as to not disturb Odysseus.

Of course, it was just your luck that you and your comrades became trapped in the cave with an enormous Cyclops.

The one-eyed monster noticed you immediately, proclaiming that you were the most beautiful creature he had ever seen walk the Earth. Your face grew hot as he picked you up to inspect you closer, which led Odysseus to reveal himself, angrily shouting at the beast to put you down immediately.

In a fit of rage, Polyphemus took two of your comrades and devoured them, much to your abhorrence.

Days passed as you and your men stayed trapped in the cave with the Cyclops, who idly chatted with you every moment of your waking hours. It made Odysseus seethe with fury, but you ignored him out of pure spite.

But finally, the time had come for your opportunity to escape. You held Odysseus' weapon-wielding hand away from Polyphemus' unsuspecting eye.

"Odysseus! This ends now!" You shouted, shocking him and your comrades in the process. Polyphemus smiles weakly at you.

"Thank you, my dear (Y/N). You have finally realized this man's foolishness. Stay here, with me," he tried to persuade you.

"No, (Y/N)! Do not fall for this heathen's temptations! You must return back home to Ithaca, with me!" Odysseus argued.

You pondered over this for a moment, trying to tune out the shouts of the man and the monster.

When you had finally made your decision, they both prompted you at the same time, exclaiming,

"(Y/N)! What is your choice?!"