Once upon a sunny day... (Haechan)

"You're sure he'll be fine?", I asked my best friend. "Of course", he assured me, trying to not move too much as he picked up another sandwich. I was leaning onto him, fiddling around with the daisy I had picked a few seconds ago. We were at a park, participating in a charity picnic our town organized once a year. "Why are you so concerned about him anyway? He's having an appointment at a doctor, so what?", my other friend asked. "Maybe because she is totally and absolutely-", the other one started an answer but got interrupted by me jolting up and sharply warning him: "Jaehyun!" He grinned at me, not phased at all as he continued: "...caring to anyone. Johnny, come on, you know her. She'll always care about anything living." I sulked as I realized that now it had been my reaction giving away that I wanted to keep something secret for now and that only Jaehyun knew so far.

Johnny chuckled. "If you are trying to hide away that you're crushing on Haechan, you absolutely don't need to", he then said. "I am not", I protested. But as I saw their raised eyebrows, I added a mumbled: "Not that obvious at least." They laughed and a bit salty I snipped the flower I had played around with against Johnny's chest. "Guess we just know you too well", Jaehyun comforted me and shortly lay his arm around my shoulders to squeeze me. I grumbled. I would have told Johnny sometime soon anyway.

I dozed away a bit as I enjoyed the warm rays of sun on my face. I lay down onto our picnic blanket, partly listening to the guys talking about this and that. I heard some of their friends come over for a little talk or stealing something to eat. I had to smile softly. I wasn't a cook, but my parents were. And I learnt a lot from them. The food I prepared for those picnics still was the most beloved by others.

I snapped out of my thoughts as Johnny nudged me. I opened my eyes slowly, blinking into the bright sunlight falling through the leaves of the tree behind me. "Taeyong just came back from the doctor", he said as I looked at him questioning. "Why was he there?", I gave back, not fully back to the real world just yet. Jaehyun pointed to a group of people nearby and I squinted my eyes to see them better. "He picked Haechan up after his check-up", he told me and I immediately sat up. The guys laughed. I stuck out my tongue to them and got out a box from my bag, filled with food I had saved for the newcomer after hearing he wouldn't make it on time. "I'll go bring him this", I said as casually as possible and while Jaehyun couldn't stop laughing, Johnny gave me a smirk and with a thumbs up told me: "Get him, girl. You look awesome today by the way. Fighting!" I blushed and waved it off before leaving them behind.

As soon as Haechan saw me, he left the group he was currently sitting with and approached me. "Hi there", I greeted him shyly and held out the box, "I saved food for you." He laughed and thanked me before taking it, curiously peeking inside. "That looks awesome", he told me as he gently put a hand on my back, leading me away from the others. "How are you?", I asked right away, "They said you were at the doctor today?" He nodded and answered: "Nothing serious. Just the usual stuff. You don't have to worry about me. Unless that grants me good food regularly, that is. Then worry all you want." I laughed. "No, even if - Please don't", he then added smiling.

We sat down on a bench, away from the crowds that filled the park's centre. "You know, there are better ways of getting my food more regularly", I teased him with a grin, "You could just come over more often. I always have something in the fridge." "You know I'd love to", he answered, "But you also know how packed my schedule lately is. Well, just a little while longer... I'll get it back under my feet soon, I'm sure I will." He sighed and I felt sad. I knew he had a lot to get used to nowadays. New job, new apartment, new routines... "You can do it", I encouraged him and then pointed to the box full of food he still had in his hands, "This will give you enough energy, you know?" He chuckled softly. "Thanks", he gave back, "I'll save it for now." I nodded, not minding when exactly he planned on eating it. However, I couldn't prevent thinking that his stress could be the reason why he went to the doctor today. I put the thought aside for a bit.

"How's work going?", I asked instead. He started updating me on everything. As it goes oh so often, we went from one topic to the next and I enjoyed every little second of it. I only realized how much time had passed as it got almost silent around us, determining the official end of the picnic. "We should head back", he said and I nodded sadly. "But", I said, gathering all of my courage, "We should talk more often like this. We barely do, it's always someone else who's with us. I enjoyed it." He smiled and agreed: "Me too."

As we got back, I couldn't find neither Johnny nor Jaehyun. Confused, I went over to their friends to ask about them. After all, I came here with them and planned on getting back the same way. "They left already. They had some stuff to do", Taeyong informed me, "Why?" My eyes widened for a second before I got myself back under control. These dumbasses. I knew exactly why they "forgot" they had promised to drive me back home. "Do you need a ride?", Taeyong asked, grasping the situation. "I could take her", Haechan suggested swiftly, "It's a detour for you after all." "Indeed. Good thing then, thanks", the other one agreed.

The sun was about to set as we halted in front of my house. I saw Johnny and Jaehyun sitting on the balcony of the latter one's apartment. He lived a floor above me. Prepare guys, I'll have to have a word with you. I was so focused on it that I didn't realize how Haechan got out of the car to open the door for me. As he did, I blushed. My friends sent me bright innocent smiles and waved us. I ignored them. "Thanks", I told Haechan, "For the whole day, you know." He shrugged it off. "Thanks as well. For the day. And the food of course. I'll return the box as soon as I finished everything." I smiled shyly. "Enjoy it", I said, not wanting to say goodbye, but also not knowing how to make the conversation longer without being weird. "I owe you for all the food", he then said. "I have a suggestion for making up to her", I heard Johnny shout from the balcony. They even heard us? Great. "Me too", Jaehyun chimed in, "Kiss her already."

My eyes widened and for a second I didn't know where to look. I was ready to throw fists at them. Until I caught Haechan's soft eyes. His smile was even brighter than the sun I had enjoyed this whole day. "I can't just kiss her without asking for permission", he mumbled so quietly I doubted the other two could hear him. But I did. "Even though I'd like to", he then added. I didn't know what to say, what to do, what to think or how to even think. I completely malfunctioned. What did he just say? "For now, let's just say you can tell me whenever you know what I owe you." He blew a shy kiss on my cheek and with a soft "Goodbye" turned to leave.

That's when I got revived again. "Hey, Haechan!", I shouted after him and within a second was right next to him. "I think we should go out. As soon as you got your schedule figured out and have time for stuff like that, that is", I said. He blinked confused. I just continued: "You already have my number, so... Just call me, okay? If you still want to then, of course. That's all you owe me." This time, I blew a kiss on his cheek, before turning around with burning cheeks and hurrying away. "I will", Haechan shouted after me, "I promise, I will!" I turned, walking backwards and ruffled my hair. Then I grinned brightly, nodded, turned again and opened the door. One last look back, a small wave and I left him and my friends' enthusiastic cheers outside. These dorks.