Chapter 3: Woe to the Conquered

Jessamine watched as clothes flew out of her suitcases, folding and arranging themselves in the closet. Candles, crystals, and other talismans flew up and arranged themselves on the shelves, creating a wall-sized space for her witchcraft. It was a much smaller space than the one she had at home, but it would have to do. A dark green comforter folded itself on the mattress, and Jessamine flopped onto it, staring up at the map of the stars as it plastered itself to the ceiling.

"I don't understand how you can have so much color," Wednesday told her flatly as the phases of the moon mirror tacked itself above Jessamine's bed. "It's exhausting."

"Well it's natural color," Jessamine argued, sitting up. "It's not like plants are all in black and white. And I need them-"

"Yeah yeah, to improve your magic, I know," Wednesday rolled her eyes. "It still shocks me."

"At least I don't have neon colors hanging up," Jessamine gestured to Enid's side of the room, and Wednesday mimed plunging a knife into her heart.

Jessamine laughed, and Wednesday gave a small smile, shaking her head. It was nice to see her sister relax a bit around her, Jessamine thought. It was something she never did with anyone else. Jessamine poured blood into a small fountain as it floated onto a shelf. It created a calming gurgling sound, reminding Jessamine of the first time she cut open a body, letting it drain on the autopsy table.

A greenhouse hung in between her and Wednesday's border, where it would hit the sun only sometimes during the day Inside was her pocket-sized deadly plant collection. She even had the flower she was named after growing in there, Jessamine. A corner of her area had been converted into a temporary art studio. Canvases hung on the walls and baskets full of paints and brushes were stacked in the corner. She'd already sketched out a rough idea of a mural she wanted to paint on the dorm wall. She thought she'd go with the name of the dorm and paint Ophelia's death in the river.

Meanwhile, Wednesday was taking her minimalist style all the way. Except for her desk and bed, her side of the room was nearly bare. She had a plant on her desk, the only decoration she really had. Jessamine had to beg her to put it there.

The girls finished setting up their parts of the room, and at Wednesday's request, moved on to the colorful window. The colored tint peeled off underneath Jessamine's fingertips as she picked at the edge before getting a good grip on the tint and pulling it off. The girls worked together in silence, leaving half of the web covered in the colored tint. They were peeling the last of the off their side of the room when Enid burst in.

"What the hell are you doing to my room?" She shrieked.

"Dividing our room equally," Jessamine told her as Wednesday kicked the tint over on Enid's side of the room, which was marked with black tape. The girls had decided the half near the door was Jessamine's, while Wednesday and Enid were situated across from each other.

"It looks like a rainbow threw up on your side," Wednesday added.

"I-"

"Silence would be appreciated," Wednesday cut her off. "This is my writing time. And Jessamine's art time."

"I'm sorry, writing time? Art time?"

"She dedicates an hour to sketching or practicing her magic, and I dedicate an hour every day to working on my novel," Wednesday explained as she set up her typewriter. "Perhaps if you did the same, your vlog might be coherent."

"I've seen serial killer diaries with better punctuation," Jessamine added from across the room. Enid cast a glare at her.

"I write in my voice," She argued. "It's my truth, it's what my followers love."