Still Paying, Still to Owe. Eternal Woe.

Fencers paced back and forth quickly on mats, the clicking of sabers against each other filling the air. Jessamine and Wednesday walked in quietly, dressed in the black suit, another special outfit their mother had packed for them. It almost made Jessamine not want to try out. They walked between the matches, glancing around. A fencer pulled off his mask, and Jessamine recognized him as the 'tortured artist'. It was slightly infuriating to see him doing all the things she wanted to do. Now she had to beat him in fencing as well.

Jessamine and Wednesday stopped as a fencer fell to the floor with a thud and clatter. He immediately pulled his mask off and started calling for the coach. Jessamine wrinkled her nose before smoothing her face out again. Crying for a teacher after losing was more humiliating than the defeat itself.

"She tripped me," The boy huffed, and Jessamine glanced over as the opponent pulled off their mask, revealing it to be Bianca, the so-called queen of Nevermore.

"It was a clean strike, Rowan," The coach insisted

"Maybe if you whined less and practiced more, you wouldn't suck," Bianca suggested, shrugging her shoulders condescendingly. "Seriously coach, when am I going to get some real competition," She complained as the man handed the boy his glasses. "Anyone else want to challenge me?"

"I do," Wednesday called. Bianca turned to face the twins, her face changing to one of surprise and mocking kindness.

"Oh," She smiled, looking the twins up and down. "You two must be the psychopaths they let in!"

"And you must be the self-appointed queen bee," Jessamine acknowledged.

"Interesting things about bees," Wednesday interrupted. "Pull out their stingers and they drop dead." Jessamine smirked as the girl's face fell, her brows puckering in confusion.

"Rowan doesn't need you to come to his defense," Bianca said, a cutting edge appearing in her voice. Jessamine's eyes flickered to the boy, who took a drag from his inhaler as he watched the exchange nervously. "He's not helpless, he's lazy."

"Nice deflecting tactic," Jessamine smirked. "Do you always do that when you feel threatened?" Bianca narrowed her eyes but Jessamine just let a cruel smile creep over her face. "Are you going to accept her challenge or not?"

Bianca moved her head quickly, her face forming into one of cool stone. Jessamine stepped to the side as Wednesday took her place on the mat.

"En garde," The teacher called, and both girls pulled their masks down. Soon the duel began, and the metal clicks snapped through the air as they shuffled back and forth in quick balestras, attacking and parrying.

"My money is on your twin," The boy, Xavier, said, coming up behind Jessamine. She glanced over at him before continuing to watch the fight. The rest of the fencers stopped their engagements to watch the fight. Jessamine tensed as the attacks became quicker. She relaxed, breathing a silent sigh of satisfaction as Wednesday crouched, the tip of her saber resting on Bianca's sternum.

"Point to Wednesday," Xavier said approvingly behind Jessamine.

"What're you doing?" She hissed, turning to look at him as Wednesday got up and the barrage continued.

"What do you mean?" He asked, a small smile resting on his face as he looked down at her.

"You don't even know us, why the support?" She asked through clenched teeth. The boy shrugged, turning to watch the match.

"You're different, you're new. And someone needs to knock Bianca down a notch."

Jessamine hated that he had a point, and turned to watch the match as well. Not long after, Bianca's saber cracked down on the top of Wednesday's head, and Jessamine gritted her teeth.