Chapter 1

After their victory on Saalok Siruth and Zirol are waiting for their new orders. They are waiting on the capital ship of the Armada.

Siruth and Zirol didn't talk much before the battle or after it. They kept their distance from each other, only interacting when needed. Zirol despises the Nerazim for their rejection of the unifying Khalai. It is what ended the civil war the Protoss faced in its beginning and from it began the Golden Age of the Protoss. That is what they have shunned. Prosperity and unity. Zirol questions why the Hierarch every allowed them to join in Aiur's reclamation. They may have kept the Khalai in safe harbour after the first loss of Aiur but that is expected of them. Why thank the Nerazim for something that is required of them. It will only cause problems to appear. And he having to be forced to work with one of them only shows the foolishness of the Hierarch's choice. But he will not be so. He watches Siruth's actions looking for any reason to strike.

Siruth is not pleased either with working beside Zirol. He gets in the way and chastises her for the smallest of things. The first day they meet he scoffed and remarked that he will ensure her kind won't interfere in the reclamation. She informed the Hierarch of her interaction with him, and he replied he shall inform Zirol of the new way of the Protoss. She doubts that Zirol cared to listen to him. It did though give her a small hope that Artanis would try to be better. Even if it resulted in no change.

Zirol broke the silence, "What do you hope to accomplish," Siruth replied with annoyance in her voice, "Accomplish what?" "What do you think will happen when Aiur is free? Do you think your people will be accepted?" "Your Hierarch would argue the opposite. My people are welcomed whether you like it or not." Zirol stopped his thought there. He wanted to push back. To state that the Nerazim would be stopped if they ever thought to live in Aiur. But he knew that he can't. He respects the Hierarch, admires him even. But he is foolish to think the Nerazim can be trusted. They rejected the most fundamentally part of the Protoss. The Khalai, the bond that united all of them. Without it how could the engineers of old exchange, expand and improve? How could their warriors share their glory, sorrows, and strengths? They reject that. How horrid it must be for them. How horridly alone they are.

Another long silence instilled, and it was Siruth that broke it this time, "Zirol... I won't argue with you any further. But remember this: it is we, the Nerazim, that allowed you to stay on Shakuras. Without us you would be drifting alone in the void on your battered ships. Be grateful. For we had every reason to cast you away. The least you can do is to repay us the respect that some of us want Aiur in Protoss hands again." Zirol's face strained and twisted at her words. Who was she to say that they should be grateful? Who was she to demand repayment? If he could kill her and the rest of the Nerazim he would. But he held his words to himself. He has already been scorned once and he fears that if he speaks again, he would be prevented from joining the battle. Siruth saw his reaction and was quite pleased with herself.

They both stay silent for a while. Siruth is comfortable with this silence. Zirol is annoying and grating enough quiet but when speaking is intolerable. She hopes this will last long enough for their orders to be finally given.

She wonders why she stays. Artanis's words promise a change for all Protoss but she doubts it. Why would it change now? A parents would often speak of Aiur with such fondness and sadness. Looking at the planet from space she can understand it. The oceans that cover the planet with a rich green covering the rest.

Her mind wondered down to why they even fought the Khalai. That bond the Protoss shared with each other, to gain access to one's thoughts. All the Nerazim wanted was individuality from it. Was that so terrible? It wasn't as the Nerazim wanted the Khalai to be destroyed. They just didn't want to loss themselves. To hear the voices in their head would be too much. To hear everyone talking at the same time would feel like being taken by a flooding river. At some point there will only be water.

Do they hate the Nerazim so much because they cause them to think if they ever wanted the Khalai in the first place? Or have they been told there is no other way but to blind themselves to other possibilities. She doesn't want to fight her kind but what other options do they have. She hopes that Artanis keeps his promise.

Zirol on the other hand can't stop thinking of ways to put Siruth down. He plays the conversion in his head repeatedly. Thinking of arguments and retorts to what she said. His fantasising even slips into just killing her for her words. This causes his mind to wonder back to a time when Aiur was still in Protoss hands.

Zirol was never happy with working with the Nerazim. When he was assigned his protector of a system, he would make sure that the Khalai was enforced. Stamping any of those who would reject it. Nerazim terrorist would often fight them, alongside the myriad of other threats. They severed the nerve cords of many, including his friend. He can still feel the pain of that moment. The battle was won in their favour. Many had died but they still would celebrate. Many did, expect for him. After the battle he went to find his battle-brother and retell of how many he killed and boast of his own strengths. But when he found him, he had experienced the most pitiable moment in his life. His friend curls up on the floor, tears running down his face as he held his nerve cord. Infront of him lie a died Nerazim. Zirol rushed towards him, trying to connect his mind with theirs, but to no avail he couldn't. Zirol's words failed him as he had nothing. His friend spoke first, "I am alone. My mind can never feel yours's or other's presence ever again. I am lost." They both just knelt. His friend broke the silence, "We both know what this means. End me, my friend. I cannot go on living anymore. And I rather it be down by your hands than any other," Zirol cursed to himself for not having the words. He felt so much angry, sadness and desperation to what happened. All he could muster was, "I will miss you. And I promise you that I shall not let this happen to anyone, as long as I am able. My mind will always remember you, brother." Within a second he ignited his gauntlet and killed his friend.

Zirol now no longer was thinking of killing or destroying anymore. Just brooding in his sadness. He could not imagine how alone his friend was. No-one to comfort him in his last moments. At least nothing as intimate as what the Khalai gives.

How can the Nerazim live with being so alone. Can they not see that the Khalai is a force of unity? Bringing all Protoss together. Perhaps they simply deny their feelings because they don't want to be wrong. That their mistake cost them gravely.

Whatever reason it may be Zirol knows that he will ensure no-one will suffer such a fate as his friend had.

The door opened grabbing both the commander's attention. The Protoss who walked in relayed their part in the battle to come. They will be part of the second wave, and they will be sent to secure Khor-shakal. The once might fortress-city of the Conclave. How ironic it was for Siruth to be sent to save the city. The Nerazim will be part of the reason Aiur's crown jewel will be liberated. She looked to Zirol to see his reaction; he must be mad at the idea of it all. But she was surprised his reaction seemed unresponsive. As if he didn't really care or understand what was said. Or perhaps it is the fact he is communicating using the Khalai. It is hard for her to gauge what they are thinking.

Siruth said she will be ready and Zirol agreed simply. Surprising Siruth, he normal does speak briefly but she thought nothing of it ultimately. The Protoss though understood what he is feeling. He gave his sympathies and added that he can stay. Zirol declined. He and they needed to continue with the plan.

The Protoss walked out followed by Siruth. Zirol stayed though for a while. His mind is too busy.