4. Track-Hoes

The first thing you hear when you open your eyes is shouting.

"-Gally! You crossed the line!" It was Albys voice, you thought.

"She humiliated me!" Gally retorts. Alby laughs at this.

"Good! Maybe it will humble you! Calm that shuck ego you have."

As you listen, you stare up at the ceiling. Where were you? You look around you and see that no one is in the room, but there were others just outside the closed door.

"And how did she get that mark on her cheek, Gally? I don't remember her landing on her face." You immediately knew it was Newt who had spoken; his accent gave it away.

At this, you remember Gallys fist that connected with your cheek. You touch it lightly and wince.

"What are you trying to say?" Gally sneers.

"That your bloody behind broke the rules." You could tell Newt was trying to calm himself down.

There was no response from Gally or Newt, so you assumed they were glaring at each other.

After a while, Gally speaks up. "She'll live." Then there's footsteps and someone breathes out harshly.

"We'll talk about this later," Alby mumbles. Then either he or Newt leaves. You breathe out and it hurts to do so. What had happened?

You hear the door creak open slightly and you turn towards it. Newts head pokes in, looking to see if you're awake. Once he sees you are, he steps all the way in and shuts the door gently behind him.

You don't say anything. He sits on the edge of your bed and looks at you with concerned eyes.

"How are y-" Newt starts but you sit up straight and stare at him with wide eyes.

"Y/N," you say quietly.

Newts eyebrows furrow and he stares back at you. "What?"

"Y/N. That's my name," you say louder.

He grins at you. "Y/N...I like that name."

You smile at him and he stands up abruptly. "I'll be right back."

Confused, you wait there with a smile on your face. Finally, now they would stop calling you Greenie. Probably.

After a couple minutes, the door opens again and you sit up straight to greet Newt, but instead it's Thomas and Alby that step in. Newt follows behind.

"Finally remember your name, did you shank?" Alby asks and folds his arms.

You nod.

"Well, congratulations,Y/N," Alby beams.

"Thanks."

"Are you feeling up to the job testing today?" Alby asks after a pause. You think of your pounding head and aching back, but you agree anyways.

"Good! Newt will lead you around and you can try out the different jobs." Alby glances at Newt and then Thomas. "Well, I've got work to do. And Thomas? The wall is about to open; I suggest you get down there."

Thomas agrees, nods to you, and heads down to the wall and Alby followed suit.

"Wait," you say to Newt who had his hands on his hips. "I thought no one was supposed to go beyond the wall?"

Newt sighs. "I'll tell you about it later. Come on, Y/N, you can try out the track-hoes first." He offers you a hand and you take it.

After you slip on shoes and change clothes, Newt guides you down to where he worked with a couple other Gladers. He instructed you what to do, weeding and planting. The day was hot and long, but not bad. Working along side Newt made you happy.

You asked him all kinds of questions, like what the other jobs were. He told you and explained each one. None of them sounded very interesting. Then, he mentioned a maze, and explained what runners were.

"A maze??" You say loudly and drop your shovel. The other Gladers look at you and chuckle.

"Yes, it's a giant maze and were bloody in the middle of it, love." Newt says. You loved his accent and it made talking to him even more enjoyable.

"Why didn't anyone tell me this before?" You ask.

"Because, Y/N, I think you had a big enough day yesterday, yeah?"

You pause and nod, sighing. "I guess so."

You spend the rest of the morning working next to Newt asking him every question your mind could think of. You were surprised by his patience with you. There was a lot to learn.

When it got to lunch time, you two headed over, you dragging Newt by the hand because he wouldn't hurry faster.

"Newt I'm starving! Would you walk faster please?" You ask in a teasing tone.

He rolls his eyes at you but chuckles and begins to jog next to you. He doesn't drop your hand, and you didn't mind.

You greet Chuck at the same table you ate at for dinner the day before. Minho and Thomas were nowhere to be seen and you asked Newt about it. He told you that they were in the Maze until just before dinner time.

Gally however, was there. He had enough common sense to eat with the other builders, and you were grateful. You narrow your eyes at his back for a moment but turn away to look at Newt instead.

"Newt, why do you have a limp?" You ask innocently. You had noticed it before, but never remembered to ask.

He stops putting the fork to his mouth and the piece of meat falls off of it. Hurt flashed across his face and you knew you had hit a sore spot. He stares straight ahead of him, not looking at anything in particular.

"I'm-I'm sorry Newt. Never mind." You felt bad, but your curiosity was pushed further.

Newt doesn't say anything but eventually continues eating. Chuck had fallen silent too. He knew something, but you decided that if you were to find out, it would be from Newt telling you himself.

After lunch, you and Newt went back to work, and he had you water the growing vegetables. Newt asked you a couple questions; checking up on you.

"No, I'm okay, Newt. I promise," you laugh lightly, but then see the anger clear on Newts face. He ripped out the roots of a weed viciously and you were surprised.

"Newt, are you alright?" You drop the water bucket and step towards him, kneeling on the ground next to his tense figure.

"The bloody nerve of him!" Newt exclaims. He rips out more weeds, almost taking a plant with it. "He fights you, and then does this to you?"

Newt turns to you and he looks at your stunned face. He lifts a dirt covered hand to your cheek and brushes his thumb lightly across where Gally had punched you. The hit had left dark marks across your cheekbone.

"I'm okay, Newt. Don't worry about it." You place you hand on top of his that was resting on your cheek. The pressure from your hands stung but it wasn't anything you couldn't handle.

"If he-" Newt starts and closes his eyes, seemingly to try to calm himself. "If he ever, ever, hurts you again, you tell me. Okay Y/N?" His eyes stare into yours with intensity you didn't know they could create.

You nod and he mutters "good". Then he takes his hand back and begins to continue weeding out the garden. You go back to watering the plants, surprised at a Newts concern for you.

The rest of the day, you couldn't help but feel happy inside. Newt was concerned about you. Even got angry because you were hurt. He cared. And at this moment, that was all you needed.