10. Survival

As you jogged around the Maze, avoiding Grievers to the best of your ability, you felt a light raindrop on your shoulder. Your clothes had been ripped in your tussle with the Griever and you bare skin showed in places. The raindrops fell silently and shocked your warm skin when they landed on it.

The rain was slow at first, a couple raindrops here and there. But then it picked up pace and threw wind into the mix. Soon it was a full blown thunderstorm. You gasp for air but inhale water while running.

You lean against the Maze wall, out of breath an now completely soaked. Your hair whipped around you violently and some stuck to your skin. What a time for a rainstorm.

The Maze was shifting again. You strain your eyes trying to see what part was moving, but it was so far ahead of you that it was too hard to see in the rain. You could only hear parts of it through the thundering storm.

You had been running for most of the night, stopping every once in a while to rest. But you were only human and could only run for so long.

The night seemed to be stretching on and you knew dawn had to be coming soon. You look to the opening at the top of the Maze and almost start to cry out of relief.

The sky was turning a light grey; it was morning.

You put your hands on your knees and look to your feet. Running with one shoe wasn't very enjoyable to say the least.

A Griever screeches somewhere. It sounded like it had came from the part of the Maze that had shifted. The Grievers would have to go back to where they came from soon, right? It was almost dawn and they didn't stay out for much longer.

You decide to try to find your way back to the Glade. Though, you had been running in so many circles and knew nothing about the Maze. You were as lost as you could be.

You stand up straight and move your hair out of your face. It was time to start moving again.

You try running, but the rain made everything slippery. After you fell for the third time, you decided it was probably best to just walk. Exhaustion was taking over your body and it was hard to keep moving. Your breaths were labored and you clung to your side, hoping it would help.

Eyes on your feet as you turn a corner, your bare foot splashes into a puddle but suddenly you stop. There was a reflection in the puddle and it wasn't yours.

As your eyes flicker up to see a Griever, your heart panics once again. Would you be able to outrun one again?

The Griever screams at you and you look at it wearily. You were already so tired...there couldn't possibly be a way to run away this time. Was this the end for you?

Adrenaline pumps into your blood once again as the Griever launches itself at you. It's long arms are too fast for your exhausted self and it scrapes across your back as you try to scramble away. Searing hot pain swells under your skin and seems to spread out though your entire body.

But you hadn't been stung yet. You could still survive this.

You look around for any kind of weapon possible, even considering trying to strangle the thing with ivy.

There was nothing.

The Griever stares at you, and you imagine it laughing. It was laughable, your small form trying to fight off a monster. Impossible.

You twist yourself around, starting to run again. You try taking the corners as fast as you could, forgetting about the rain. As you turn your body to the right, your bare foot slips on the slick concrete and you fall; your form being thrown across the next pathway.

Your head slams into the concrete wall along with your bruised body, making a cry escape your mouth.

It's not long before the Griever finds you again. You'd lost it with your last turn, but it found you crumpled in the corner.

Every part of your being wanted to get up and fight, scream at the creature to go away. You tried. You tried everything you could. The only thing that happened though was your elbow sliding under yourself to prop you up.

The Griever ran at you, arms ready to rip you to pieces.

A single thought pops into your mind. A thought that gives you so much hope that your muscles burn with determination and you ignite a fire in your heart.

Newt.

You promised you would get back to him, and you weren't about to break that promise.

You cry out as you push yourself up, using every muscle to do so. Getting back on your feet was a challenge, but you did it. You stabled yourself on the wall and began to run again.

You twisted your way down the isle of ivy and concrete, not realizing how close the Griever was getting. With ever step you took, it lengthened its stride.

Once again, you found yourself on the ground. The Griever had hit you with its metal arms and thrown you as far from it as possible. It was playing with you. Throwing you around like a rag doll before it killed you.

A single sob escapes your mouth before your vision goes blurry. You look up to the sky to see that it was getting light, though the rain kept coming. This had no effect on Grievers apparently.

A darkness begins to settle on your eyes soon, and you watch the Griever slip and slide your way, sure to kill you. You muttered a small goodbye to Newt as your eyes dropped shut.

The last thing you hear is shouting.