26. Escape

The whole Glade was alive with the news. It seemed that even the forest hummed with excitement. You could be getting out of here.

The Runners were working double time to find a way out; no lunch breaks, no stopping, and back five minutes before the doors closed. It made you uneasy knowing that even the smallest mishap could have Minho and Thomas stuck in the Maze overnight.

You worked alongside the Track-Hoes, silent. The rest of them talked, especially Newt, about what they'd do if they were truly getting out of there. See their families, find somewhere to live by themselves for a while, silly things. You were careful not to get your hopes up too high however, knowing that there was a good possibility that you were stuck here forever.

Every night for a week, the Gladers all waited by the Maze doors with the same questions for Minho.

"Find a way out?"

"Anything new?"

"Did you see a Griever?"

The answer was always the same. "Still nothing." Disappointed sighs.

Then Minho and Thomas would sit around the fire that night and discuss what they'd do different the next day to find a way out. They'd opened up a new section and were determined to explore every inch of it. It was everyone's last hope.

But today was different. Today, the Runners came back early. Today, when everyone bombarded the exhausted Runners with questions, everyone was shocked.

"We found it. The way out."

Silence hit the boys and you like a train. No one had actually been prepared for this answer. Your bones seemed to become dust as you went numb and stared at Thomas. He nodded a reassuring look as if to say, 'it's not a joke'.

Newts hand slid in yours and gripped it tightly as you started forward with the rest of the quiet group. Alby finally made his way to the front and pulled the Runners to the side to discuss what they'd found.

As soon as they were gone, murmurs broke out and soon people were cheering, shouting, and chattering excitedly. You remained silent.

"-ove? Are you alright?"

You look over to Newt slowly and a small smile breaks out. Tears fill your eyes as you nod to him. "I-I just can't believe it!"

He returns the grin and pulls you into a tight hug. "We're getting out of here, we're finally going to make it out. Together."

You nod into his shoulder.

"Together."

***

The Glade was sent into a frenzy to gather everything to leave that night. Chuck was loaded with carrying smaller items and the rest of the Gladers, including Maya and you, carried spears, axes, and knifes. Tonight was war with the Grievers.

"Thomas I'm scared," you hear Chuck mumble to Thomas.

You watch as Thomas kneels next to the trembling boy and consoles him. You think for a moment and realize that you were scared too. Terrified, actually.

"Alright everyone! Get your shuck behinds over here!" Minho yelled as curious Gladers approached from all sides.

"Listen, I know that all you shanks are about to klunk your pants, so let me give you some...comfort." He says the last word loosely and shrugs.

"I'll be leading you, and I want Thomas and Y/N to be next to me and leading too."

"What?" You hiss at him. Others have the same thought and shouts rise next to you. Protests break out and unhappy scowls are shot your way.

Minho waves his arm and stops them. "Y/N is going to lead so get your klunk together, got it? She survived a freakin' night in the Maze. Have any of you?"

Minho waits for any hands to rise. When they don't, he continues. "Good that. We leave in ten minutes and the doors close in fifteen. Get ready shanks. Be careful, don't die."

He starts to walk away and you stand there stunned. The Gladers rush around and gather everything they were taking to fight the Grievers.

Ten minutes??

You meet Newt and he hands you a spear. Your stomach churns at the sight but you hold it firmly like it was your lifeline.

"Ready Love?"

"Nope."

You felt like you were going to be sick. What if the opening had closed and the Maze trapped all of you in there? What if no one made it out alive?

After five minutes, Alby gathered everyone at the doors to the Maze. Everyone bounced with nervous and determined emotion and others seemed happy and excited. This was unreal.

"Alright Ladies!" He addressed them, shooting a look at everyone. "Hike up your skirts cause we're leaving this place, and we're doing it fighting! If you're going to stay here, that's your choice. I won't fight you about it. But I intend to get out of here and I hope you all do too."

Cheers rose around you and you heard Newt shouting somewhere in the group also. Chucks nervous shouts were clear in the mix.

"Let's get out of here, shanks!" Everyone thrusts their spear towards the darkening sky and you realize that this was it. You were leaving. You were actually doing this.

You push your way to the front and stand next to Thomas. He bumps your shoulder and you flash an uneasy smile to him.

Newt comes up behind you and squeezes your freehand like he always did when he was nervous.

Minho takes his spot in front of you and before you know it, he starts to run. Butterflies dance around your stomach as you start running too, following him into the Maze with your spear pointed towards the sky.

A/N: Sorry this chapter probably sucked but at least I updated! Woo! And I have another chapter coming within the next two days don't worry