Before the Storm

"So where is my goddaughter?" Phoenix questions as you and her walk into the hanger.

"She's with her grandparents." You answer, standing next to the table by Phoenix.

"Which ones?! I miss the little nugget!" Phoenix practically whines.

"Well that little nugget is now 7 and a pain in our ass." Jake groans, plopping down at the table diagonally from Phoenix.

"She is not! She's just upset that all of her classmates get to see both of their parents everyday. Some days it's one, others it's grandma putting her to bed." You slap his shoulder, sitting in the seat beside him. "She's with Sarah and Ice."

"Life of a double pilot child. Must suck ass." One after another, the other pilots and WSOs file into the Hanger, taking their seats throughout the room. Rooster is one of the last to enter with Fanboy and Payback. You glare at him as he sits behind you and Jake, Bradley returns to glare as Jake turns your chair to face forward.

"Attention on deck!"

All of the pilots rise, standing at attention. Admiral Bates stops at the front of the room. "Good morning. Welcome to your special training detachment. Be seated. I'm Admiral Bates, NAWDC commander. You're all Top Gun graduates. The elite. The best of the best." Everyone looks around at each other, all noting Hangman's smug look. "That was yesterday. The enemy's new fifth generation fighter has leveled the playing field. Details are few, but you can be sure we no longer possess the technological advantage. Success, now more than ever, comes down to the man or woman in the box."

Hangman looks at you and Phoenix, winking at you. Both of you scoff and role your eyes. Phoenix uses her middle finger to rub her temple, effectively flipping off Jake without drawing attention to herself.

"Half of you will make the cut. One of you will be named mission leader." Warlock says. "The other half will remain in reserve." Bates explains. "Your instructor is a Top Gun graduate with real-world experience in every mission aspect you will be expected to master. His exploits are legendary. And he's considered to be one of the finest pilots this program has ever produced. What he will teach you may very well mean the difference between life and death."

Everyone glances behind them and you immediately sinks into your seat. "Fuck." You mutter under your breath. Jake reaches over to rest a hand on your thigh, providing all the comfort you needed from him.

"I give you Captain Pete Mitchell. Callsign, Maverick."

Pete nods to Admiral Bates before turning to the pilots. "Good morning." Everyone gives him a tight lipped smile, mostly Jake and Phoenix. You hold nothing but resentment in your glare and unbeknownst to you, so does Bradley. Pete holds up the F-18 flight book. "The F-18 NATOPS. It contains everything they want you to know about your aircraft. I'm assuming you know the book inside and out."

"Damn straight." Hangman shouts, a couple other pilots agreeing.

"Damn right."

"You got it."

"Obviously," You mumble, as Pete drops the booklet into the garbage can at his feet. He immediately catches the attention of everyone in the room who didn't know of him. You and Bradley scoff almost simultaneously at the action.

"So does your enemy. But what the enemy doesn't know is your limits. I intend to find them, test them, push beyond. Today we'll start with what you only think you know. You show me what you're made of." Maverick dismisses the pilots to get into their flight suits.

As they all walk onto the tarmac, Pete calls out to Bradley. "Rooster." Bradley doesn't turn around. "Bradley." Still nothing. "Lieutenant Bradshaw." Bradley turns around and you glance over from your jet, rolling your eyes at their interaction.