After All

You, Maverick, and Cyclone stood before the team. You convinced Cyclone to allow Maverick on the carrier. You knew you couldn't make the decision without Mav's input.

"It's been an honor flying with you. Each one of you represents the best of the best. This is a very specific mission. This is a very specific mission. My choice is a reflection of that and nothing else." Mav turns to you, motioning for you to step forward. "Vixen."

You step up as Cyclone speaks. "Choose your two foxtrot teams."

"Payback and Fanboy," You announce. "Phoenix and Bob."

"Choose your wingman."

The room was silent. You look around the room, your gaze lands on you husband who nods, giving you all the strength you need.

"Who are you going to choose as your wingman?" Jake asked.

You laid with your head on his chest, Jake running his fingers through your hair. "I'd much rather have you." You sigh.

"I know, darlin." Jake nods softly. "I think you should choose Rooster." You sit up, turning to look at your husband. "I know, but Vix, you gotta believe me when I say that if I trust anyone to prioritize you making it home to Elle, it's Rooster.

"Rooster."

"The rest of you will stand by on the carrier for any reserve role that's required. Dismissed." Cyclone looks to you knowingly as you nod in return. Everyone leaves the room but you, Hangman, and Rooster.

"You chose me? Why?" Rooster questioned.

"Jake suggested it." You answer which shocked Bradley even more.

"I love Coyote, he's my best friend. But I know, despite everything you two have been through, you won't let a kid lose their mom." Jake says. "I'm trusting you Bradshaw, bring my wife home."

Bradley nods before exiting without another word.

"I'm scared." You say truthfully.

"Me too but," Jake turns you to stand directly before him. "You are the best of the best, literally. You've successfully flown this course more than the rest of us."

"It was one time."

"And that one time proved that it's doable." Jake continues. "Now, go out there. Be the best team leader, do the mission and then come home. I will be right here waiting for you."

"I love you."

"I love you too darlin." Jake pulls you into a quick kiss before guiding you out to briefing.

Crews scramble across the deck prepping the jets for take off.

"Dagger one, up and ready," You say through the comms.

"Dagger spare standing by," Hangman chimed.

"Dagger four, up and ready," Payback and Fanboy call.

"Dagger three, up and ready," Phoenix and Bob call in unison.

"Dagger two, up and ready," Rooster says after taking a deep breath.

One at the time the jets launch off the carrier, you heading the group. "Comanche, dagger one. Standby check in." You call once everyone is in the air.

"Comanche one one, set. Picture clean. Recommend dagger continue."

"Copy. Daggers descending below radar." You report, leading everyone down. Everyone's rapid breathing can be heard over comms, trying to keep their heart rates calm.