First Meeting

Marcus wandered the streets as he was wont to do after the sun had set and the city populace had bedded themselves down for the night. Volterra was a charming town with an interesting history and the full protection of the Volturi. Yes, vampires thousands of years old protected humans they lived among. It was a perfect symbiotic relationship. Local officials helped out when called, and were handsomely paid to ignore the rumours. Donations were made, lives were protected. It worked out for everyone.

It was well past 3am, when he saw her, a crumpled body lying on the street not far from the Volturi compound. He almost walked right past her. What was a damaged human to him. But his gift gave him notice, forcing him to return to her. Bending down, he heard her heart beating. She was alive, but seemed awfully thin. Marcus really wanted to leave her behind, but his gift gave him the vision of two cords of light, moving around together yet barely touching. Some type of relationship was already forming between them. He couldn't walk away from her.

Tucking his arms beneath the woman, he picked her up, and in a blur of speed, returned home. Once there, Marcus headed to one of the guest rooms saved for the few visitors received at the castle. He set the woman in one of the room's chairs, and lowered the bed covers. He picked her up once more and placed her in the bed, unsure what to do. Her clothes were dirty, and she could use a bath, but first, he'd need to make sure she was conscious and able to move around on her own. Removing his suit coat, he rolled up his sleeves and went to the bathroom. Marcus wet a washcloth with hot water, soaping it up a bit. Then he returned to the bedroom and proceeded to wash her face, noticing how smooth and flawless her skin was. It didn't seem possible, under the dirt, but perhaps she just hadn't any recent access to a shower.

Marcus saw to her arms and hands. Then he dispassionately removed her outer clothing and shoes, leaving her underthings on her, and washed her bare legs and feet. For now, this would have to do until she was able to walk to the bathroom on her own two legs. He pulled the covers over her, then sat at the foot of the bed. His eyes scanned her. She had medium length dark brown hair that could use a brushing, no purse or ID in her jeans pockets. Marcus found himself wondering what colour her eyes would be once she opened them.

Deciding she would not be waking soon, Marcus ran to the castle's kitchen, and prepared a tray for the unconscious woman. He filled a nightstand carafe with water, then set the matching glass on top. Searching the refrigerator, he found some meats, but wondered if she was well enough to have solid food just yet. Instead, he heated up a can of soup, setting several pieces of buttered bread on the tray beside the bowl of steaming soup. He wished their human chef was here, but it was still the early morning hours. Unused to such menial labor, he oddly didn't feel it was beneath him. Marcus actually felt a certain satisfaction in helping the woman.

Running the corridor at breakneck speed, he smiled when he saw the food was still intact. He hadn't thought of that in his rush to return to the guest room.

Setting the tray on the small console table sitting beneath a window, Marcus checked on his patient. She had not yet awakened. He wondered if she needed a doctor to come check her over, something Aro would probably veto. No, Marcus would care for her himself, and hopefully she would live.

The soup would be cool soon, so he sat on a chair he moved beside the bed. He had already set the tray on the side table, after pushing the lamp back to make room, and now wanted to see if he could awaken her. Using his hand, he gently felt her head for any lumps. He didn't think she had been attacked, but most likely had fainted from hunger, if her thin body was any indication.

"Child, wake up. I have some food for you. Can you open your eyes," he said, his hand on her cheek.

Finally, after a few minutes, she began to stir, one hand reaching up to her forehead. "What the...where am I?"