Broken Hearts, Mended Souls Part 2

"Aro, do not bother my guest." Marcus's words carried a warning when he gave his brother a hard look, his intent apparent even when no more words were spoken.

Marcus' eyes may have appeared sad to Denara, but Aro saw a familiar determination in them due to their long standing relationship.

Denara glanced up from the bed, looking from Marcus to the other man, then back to Marcus. She wanted to hide beneath the bedspread, but her curiosity as to the dynamics between the two men intrigued her. Marcus had protected and provided for her, but the other man seemed to be the one in charge.

Aro glanced down at the woman cowering under the bedspread and knew Marcus would be most displeased if he didn't leave the pair alone. "Forgive me, my dear. I will leave you to my brother's care. For now, I bid you good night. Until tomorrow. " He turned to Marcus and raised his brows, before leaving the bedroom.

OoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoO

"Now then. Here is my robe, Denara. Go shower, and when you return, we'll talk. Or if you wish something to eat, I will oblige you. If you prefer sleep, let me know, and I will leave you to your rest."

Denara looked up at the gentle giant who seemed so eager to not only help her, but please her as well. She took the robe from his hands, and held it up to her. It would definitely cover her and then some. She smiled at him. "I'll work something out. Please, stay, I'm probably running on adrenaline and will end up sleeping all day tomorrow once I pass out." She entered the bathroom, and looking at him from inside, said, "For now, we can talk. But if you have something sweet, with some cold milk, I won't balk at the offer." She gave him another smile and closed the door.

When Marcus heard the shower start, he sped to the kitchen with the tray to see if the chef had made any baked goods. Filling the pitcher with icy milk, he managed to find some cookies, so placed half a dozen on a small plate and placed that on the tray. While gathering the food, Marcus fumed. How dare Aro try to read his guest that way, and behind his back. What was the point after all. Just once he wished Aro would forego the tactile telepathy, and leave people alone. Even his own guards were subject to mental inspections whenever they returned from missions. He seemed to trust no one. But Denara was not Aro's guest.

Denara was enjoying her shower while the hot water seemed to wash away her fears and anxiety. No more nights on the street or looking for friendly food vendors who felt sorry for her and offered her some bread or fruit. She had no idea how she would be able to repay Marcus for coming to her rescue, but if she ever found herself in such a position to do so, she promised herself she would.

Feeling like she may have drained the entire Mediterranean Sea, Denara reluctantly turned off the water and left the shower. Wrapping herself up in a large bath towel, she used a smaller towel to dry her hair. She hoped Marcus didn't see her as a burden, but he had brought her here, and not the other way around. He was bending over backwards to make sure she was comfortable. Why some woman hadn't snatched him up was beyond her. Maybe he was married and hadn't told her. But the fact his wife never came to visit her made Denara think Marcus had no wife. And he did spend a lot of his day with her.

She pulled the robe off the door hook, and slipped it on. It was huge, but she wrapped it tightly around her too slender body, tied the belt around her waist, then pulled the fabric up through the belt to match her five foot seven inch height. It felt warm, even if she did look ridiculous in it. Denara noticed something, and impulsively pulled the collar up to her nose. The scent in the fabric was unusual. She inhaled it again to find it was sweet, with a hint of spice, like a drink she sometimes had in Winter. Warm cinnamon milk...with a dollop of whipped creme. That was the scent. It could have been his cologne or scented dryer sheets. She felt instantly relaxed, whatever it was.