Chapter Three

I was standing outside of Patrice’s bedroom while I waited for her to change. It was the weekend and I was bored, hoping to get in day trip in the city with my youngest friend.

I knew Patrice through my brother. Shaun and Patrice’s older brother (Topher) were best friends - having met in first grade. We became friends at Topher’s 10th birthday party when we bonded over being the only girls there.

Tapping my foot to the music coming out of Toph’s room, I waited for Pat impatiently so we could drive into Boston and hit up China town.

“Ah, hey Sophie!” A door flew open and it hit the wall behind it, a disheveled Topher standing messily in the darkness that seeped from the pit inside. I saw him smile as he stood shirtless and awkward in the doorway. “What are you doing here so early?”

“I turned up hoping Patrice would want to go to China town.”

“She’s not in a very good mood lately.” He mumbled, shutting his door behind him to expose himself in the morning light. His bright eyes settled on me as he scratched his dirty blond scalp.

I let my eyes roam around the body of the boy I had known since I was four years old; and it really hadn’t changed that much. He was still fairly tall and lanky, slightly skinny with naturally tan skin that was so odd for our part of America. Genetics had blessed that man.

“I’ve noticed.” I agreed with a snort, unfolding my arms and stretching. “How’ve you been? You haven’t been over in a while.”

“Yeah, college is such a drag lately.” He rolled his eyes. “It’s like dealing with a child that never stops wanting attention.”

“I hear that.” I grinned at him and he gave me a soft smile, looking to his sister’s door before staring back at me.

“How long has she been in there?”

“About half an hour now.” I told him, crossing my arms again and he scoffed, hiking up his boxers with his skinny fingers.

“Patrice!” He suddenly called. “What are you doing in there?”

“I’m not going!” She shrieked. “I have nothing to wear and I look SO fat.”

“Wow.” I blinked and Topher looked at me pathetically.

“TELL HER TO GO AWAY I HATE MYSELF OH MY GOD.”

“Is there really any reason you have to go to China town?” He cringed noticeably. I perked up.

“I want authentic Chinese food. It’s just not the same at Panda Express where the Mexican boy mouth breathes into the Lo Mein.”

His face brightened and he stretched through a surprise yawn before he looked down at me expectantly.

“So you wanna invite me?”

“Oh!” I stiffened, looking at him cheesily. “Wanna come to China Town with me? We can get lunch and act like we’re dating to make all the old people like us.”

He looked at the bare patch of skin on his wrist and let his brow rise, staring at it tiredly before looking back up at me.

“Well, I don’t know if I can fit you in in my incredibly busy schedule.” He tsk’d noisily before keeping a straight face for at least 10 seconds. “But sure.” He brightened instantly. “ Let me shower.”