I am Quincy, son of Quincy

Quincy

It's been three months since the bloon invasion started, three months since my father has been on the frontline and three months since the townspeople has been relying on me to lead. And I haven't been taking it so well.

Nobody thought much of the bloons at first. Celebrity and top scientist Dr Monkey(nobody knows his real name) nearly became a laughing stock for saying they are a threat... but he got the last laugh. Their numbers inflated( Ha ha, inflated, get it?) like crazy and swarmed several small towns,but still the government refused to take action. Then it happened.The Lancaster village was invaded at night by a tsunami of colourful rubber that floated into the houses and destroyed furniture and everything else. Thankfully, there were no casualties, but thousands of monkeys have lost their homes. That was the last straw.

The monkey armies marched through the fields, and in all the villages they passed, they were joined by angry locals, armed with sticks, brooms and a furious passion to pop those bloons. In some villages, only two men were sent. In others, it seems as if more had left than stayed! Their troops grew and grew, and it wasn't long before they passed by my hometown, the beautiful village of Oakheart.

We too had caught word of the Lancaster disaster and have been waiting for a chance to get back at the floating rubber menace. Most of our men wanted to leave home to join the army, and my father, the villages elder(most important person, not eldest) was among them. Back then, we all believed that the combined army of soldiers and villagers will be enough to wipe out the bloon threat once and for all. But now...

I sighed. The war has dragged on for months now, but the bloons seem to just keep coming. A loud knock at the door brought me back to the present. I sighed again, but this time in exasperation. "Do you have to tell me every little thing?" I called to the door. After my father left, I have hardly left my temporary office. I have been living on coffee - until that ran out, and in these times we couldn't get more from other villages. 

"Yes. But this time, you really need to know." came what sounded like Oliver, the most respected person apart from my father. Tentatively, I opened the door and was greeted by half the village! I opened my mouth in surprise, but no sound came out. All I could manage to say was: "Holy ISAB!" Some people in the crowd I knew. There was Oliver, as well as some of my childhood friends that I haven't seen since I was 7. There were mothers carrying babies - in fact, it seems like every person who could make it came, and they all were dressed in white with solemn expressions on their faces. "Quincy..."Oliver spoke up. "Yes?" I replied in a shaky voice. I was afraid i knew what he would say. " We just got news on the phone. Your father is dead."