iv. missed you - neteyam

It wasn't in neteyam's nature to act like this

It wasn't in neteyam's nature to act like this. disregarding his parents' orders and sneaking around to see you. 

However, he couldn't stop thinking about you. especially the laugh that would fall from your lips when he made a joke, the never-ending smile he wore when he was around you, the warmth of your touch, and just the way you made him feel in general.

It was as if you had cast a spell on him that he couldn't seem to break from, not that he was complaining.

All he knew for certain was that he needed to see you. As a result, he settled to complete his task as soon as possible. His parents, particularly his father, had instructed him to gather twigs and branches for the mreki u'lito (fire pit) tonight.

He hastily gathered the twigs and branches, tying them together before he placed them to the side of a tree and hiding them well. He made a mental note to himself that he would bring them back home later, as he was supposed to.

A sense of guilt filled his chest as he looked back to check on the now-wrapped twigs and branches. His hands trembled a little. his tail swooshed from side to side. Debating if he wanted to go through with it or not.

Neteyam knew he shouldn't leave his duties unattended, especially as the eldest son of the family. His parents were counting on him.

He knew it was wrong and that they would be worried if he didn't return soon, but why did being around you feel so right? He let out a huff, shaking his head before walking in the direction of your meeting spot.

Neteyam was approaching, walking quickly, but he paused. His ears perked up when he heard familiar sounds of laughter and giggles coming from south the direction of where you were supposed to meet.

He followed instinctively and was met with a surprising sight. You were playing with a plant, the helicoradian to be exact.

He watched you in awe as you touched the leaf, it coiled up and retracted to the ground in response. You let out a soft giggle before moving to the next one.

"Y/n!" he called, a smile filling his face. You turned towards the sound of the voice, smiling, before rushing towards the young boy and immediately engulfing him in a hug.

He sighed in contentment at the warmth of your presence. His previous sullen demeanor had completely washing away from his body. His hands moved down to your waist and drew you in closer. the two of you stayed like that for a few moments before eventually pulling away.

"That seemed like a lot of fun," he noted, and you nodded your head in agreement.

"It was." you answered, your smile widening. "So, what brings you here?" you teased, already knowing the answer.

"A certain someone," he quipped.

"And where might that certain someone be, neteyam?" you inquired, a smirk now tugging at your lips.

"They happen to be right in front of me," he says happily, you giggle at his answer as he takes your hands and places them in his own.

"So miss me already, huh?" you teased once more.

"More than anything." he sighs, his thumb gently caressing your hand.

"You know, it's only been a day," you point out, and he laughs in response.

"And a day is already long enough for me to miss you, my love," he admits, his eyes locked on yours.

Your cheeks feel hot at his words and your stomach does a flip, almost as if butterflies had entered your stomach and were fluttering around. "You just can't seem to get enough of me can you?"

He chuckles at your words. "Yes, I truly cannot (name)."

You pull him in for another hug, burying your face in the crook of his neck, as his hands wrap around your waist gently. The two of you soaking in each other's warmth and presence once more.

He always made you feel at ease when he was close to you, and you adored him for it. You peppered soft kisses along his neckline before gazing up to look at your boyfriend to find that he was already looking at you with a grin on his face.

"i see you (name)," he says softly, before planting a gentle peck to your lips.

"i see you too, neteyam." you beam up at him,  noticing how his eyes light up at your words and how you can tell they are filled with so much love and care.

"Now, are you up for a quick game of who can close all the helicoradians the fastest?" he challenged with an annoyingly cheeky face, and you playfully roll your eyes.

"Oh, you're on, sully!" you say, rushing towards the helicoradians before you're pulled back as a hand latches onto the end of your tail.

"Hey!" you yelp, swishing your tail out of his grasp. "that's not fair"

"I never said it had to be fair," he says, lips curving into a teasing smirk.

"I'll get you for that!" you threaten.

"Go right ahead, y/n. i'm right here" he taunts, holding up his hands as if to assert his innocence.

You launch your body onto him, causing the two of you to tumble onto the ground. The helicoradians shrink right under you as the two of you playfully roll around the forest floor trying to topple one another.

It's a continuous cycle of either one of you on top saying a smug sentence before they get flipped over and their back's pressed down against the forest floor and they are proven wrong again.

"Willing to surrender now, y/n?" Neteyam asks, noticing your somewhat tired state, his body now on top of yours pressing you down on the ground.

"No," you reply, refusing to back down despite the obvious fatigue in your voice.

Although your response confirms his suspicions, and he moves away from you before offering his hand, which you gratefully accept.

The first thing you notice when you're back off the forest floor is neteyam's body covered with dirt before your eyes flicker to your own.

You gently brush it off yet it does no good, as it creates an even bigger smudge. neteyam moves towards you and helps you brush off the rest of the dirt on your body.

"Thank you, neteyam" you say, placing a hand on his shoulder, eyes full of gratefulness.

"No worries, my love." he chuckles, his hand moving to place a braid behind your ear. Your cheeks turn into a shade of pink at his motion.

"I really do love you, you know that?" you say, giggling. he nods his head at your words, "and i really love you too."

The two of you turn around hand in hand to notice that the helicoradian field had all coiled and shrunken to the ground.

You both end up bursting into a fit of laughter at each other's  competitiveness earlier. "it's a draw," you exclaim, and neteyam merely shakes his head. "you wish."