Chapter 1: Welcome To Mulsberry Peak September 3rd 2022

From behind his cash register, Rory watched his last customer of the day place her items on his counter. Three small, ceramic lawn gnomes. Each seemed plainer than the others he had to offer, as they were just average, short, and stumpy, stone men, with tiny beards and cone shaped hats. To be honest, Rory was glad they, out of all the ornaments, were chosen to be bought. They didn't sell as well as they should have, because they were plain and original, yet they managed to catch the eye of a long-term resident of Mulsberry Peak: Mrs. Anderson.

          At 63 years old, though without looking any day past 40, she was one of the eldest residents in the whole town, aside from her husband. She seemed to know everyone, and would chat their ear off, had they allowed her to. Rory had grown used to her returning to buy more items from his and his father's shared Outdoor Décor Shop. It was always nice, on days like this, when someone he had become more accustomed to stopped by.

          "Did you find everything you needed alright?" Rory's soft voice spoke up as he slid his mask up over his nose once more. Though no one else wore it, he couldn't bear to take it off. Not anymore, what with his father's dwindling health. The very thought of Rory causing ill to his dad- and if his dad died from it- He just couldn't bear to think about that.

          "I sure did, thank you, dear. I can't wait to bring these precious babies' home to show Reginald. They'll go lovely in his garden, right along with the other lawn ornaments he's been collecting." She piped up proudly, pulling her wallet from her small purse. Rory nodded knowingly, having been able to quote the exact words that would come from her mouth. Why, she responded with the same thing every time he spoke to her.

           "They'll look wonderful in his garden. What a beautiful choice, Mrs. Anderson," He replied just as he always did, in his usual tone. In truth, he did love the gnomes very much, and that was because they were plain. But he wouldn't show his pride in them, finally leaving his shelves to venture out and into a garden unknown.

          "You know, dearie, Reggie hasn't been feeling well these past few days," She began with a soft smile, only to notice Rory's frantically worried expression, as he drew his hand back sharply as if he had been stung. She gave a simple wave to assure him. "Nothing of any illness you can catch, my boy. Just old age catching up to him, I'm afraid. He hasn't had the energy to tend to his garden as of late. Maybe you could be a dear and come stop by to help him when you've got the time?" She gestured politely, and Rory's breathing softened. Even the word "illness" felt sharp. Painful. Scary.

           "I'm sorry to hear that, I wish him the best. When I get time after work, I'd be more than happy to stop by." He nodded his head respectfully, and, although his smile was masked, he relished how happy she appeared by his response.

          "Thank you, dear, he'd be very thankful, too."

         Rory read a loud number, and she exchanged money with him; The same thing as ever. Living in that small town that no one ever visited had always been nice- always so predictable as if nothing new ever happened. And that was just the way Rory liked it to be.

          After bagging the small gnomes, he tied the bag with a nice bow and slid it to his customer. "Thank you so much for stopping by. I hope to see you again soon." He smiled warmly, allowing his mask to slide down just a bit before tugging it back up where it belonged.

          "Thank you, dearie. I'll see you later this week; you can count on it." She waved, before taking her bag gingerly.

           "Send my regards to Reginald," Rory added as she only smiled back sympathetically, and with that, she walked out of Rory's store, the bell ringing slightly as the door shut behind her.