Chapter 11

{ My fingers laced together, and I made a little prison... and I'm locking up everyone who ever laid a finger on me. }
- Lorde

〰〰〰〰

Sebastian's seduction never fails. And finding such a flamboyant fellow within such a mass of corruption like the back streets of London is never hard. Our plan is set for us to ride into London (never letting Finny catch on), then silently walk deep in to the bowels of the city. Sebastian, as he put it, will then 'stiff our suspect out' and subsequently 'lure' Grell to him in only the most professional manner... of course.

The carriage we're sitting in rocks back and forth... jolts here and there. But it's almost peaceful, in a way... for I know that our destination finally has a purpose; whether that purpose is meaningful to me, or not. There is a loaded gun tucked securely in my coat pocket, for reapers are the only supernatural beings who can be killed by such a thing... much like how they are also the only things whom can kill a demon. Not they they are particularly prone to letting teenage boys shoot them with a pistol. Sebastian sits across from me, his gaze unbelievably hot on my face and neck. And I hope upon hope that I am not flushed as red as a ripened tomato. I tell myself not to think about how much I want him... need him... crave him. But I know that whether or not I am blushing or not, he can tell indefinitely that I am thinking about him.

I sigh, trying to take my mind off how handsome Sebastian's features are. I gaze out of the small side window. I ask myself why I care so much about pleasing Victoria and the royal family. I haven't had a case in so long, I feel as though it is of no significance... as if nothing will ever matter again, unless there is either a loaded gun or Sebastian's soft, soft lips pressed against my neck. And perhaps he is the one holding the gun. I wouldn't be surprised or disappointed, after all. I got myself into this mess. I bestowed my life to a creature filled with all of the things I seek to destroy... and I wouldn't have it any other way. See... the thoughts I constantly have of him are unrelenting. The carriage stops.

"We're here, young master!"

I hear Finny call from the driver's seat. I wait for Sebastian to get out and offer me a hand before taking it and exiting as well. It takes a moment or two for my eyes to adjust to the daylight now flooding in around me, and in that moment of blindness I find myself wondering that, if, perhaps Sebastian knew of my temporary inability to see, if he would take the chance and end me right there. But maybe he would stand by to make sure nobody else would. I find it hard to tell with him.

"When should I be coming back for you, then?"

"Six o'clock, I should say."

"Very well, mister Sebastian!"

He rides off. I turn to Sebastian.

"I can already smell him. Allow me, my lord."

He lifts me up, swiftly carrying me away to a side street before jumping and taking us high upon the rooftops of London.

"He's quite close, now."

Sebastian mutters over the sound of wind clashing around our eardrums. The icy blasts feel like they come from the tooth of the saber himself, blinding me with his immeasurable fury.

"Ah... right below."

He spots the read-headed one quickly, nothing short of a small feat on his part. Mr. Sutcliffe is strolling calmly down an alleyway, his scythe of choice in hand... that is, until he looks up.

"Ah! Bassy! What fun to see you here... have you finally warmed up to me?"

He calls, smiling his disturbing smile.

"It's quite rude to refuse a lady, after all."

"You, I am afraid, are no lady... Grell Sutcliffe."