Two

First Year,
No Surprise There.

Carden along with his brother and Harry enjoyed their train ride. Stuffing their faces with sweets and trying to determine their house for the next seven years. Obviously Gryffindor. What other house would they be in? Neither of them was logical enough to be Ravenclaws, or patient enough to be Hufflepuffs.

Another boy joined them, introducing himself. Carden realised he was the younger brother to his sister's friends Fred and George Weasley. He and Harry held a conversation with the young boy, inviting him to stuff his face with the many sweets they had bought.

"What's your rat called?" Carden asked, spotting to rat hiding in his pocket.

"This is Scabbers, pathetic ain't he," Ron commented,

"Only a little," Harry told him, attempting to coax the rat out with a sweet.

"He's not usually this shy," Ron took the rat out of his pocket, showing him to the three boys,

"He looks terrified," Hadrian commented, smiling at the rat, "can I hold him?" Ron nodded handing Scabbers to him.

The rat froze like a statue, it wouldn't turn its head, then almost like the rat had realised he was safe, began sniffing Hadrian's hands. Eating some of the sweets Harry and Carden offered to him. As Hadrian handed him back to Ron the boys spoke about what they were most looking forward to, all except Hadrian, who didn't speak much for the rest of the journey.

As they arrived at the station, he, Harry and their new friend Ron hurried ahead. He turned around searching for his brother, it didn't take long to find him, being smothered by their older sister, as she walked away with her Hufflepuff boyfriend. Phoebe always called him her friend. Carden believed the boy liked his sister, more than a friend.

He cringed as Malfoy nudged his friend for teasing Hadrian. Carden's dislike for the slimy git, stemmed purely from the opinion of his parents, Narcissa might have been his father's cousin, but her husband was where the dislike came from, the arrogant, entitled asshole — his mother would have scolded him for such opinions.

She understood that as they were her friends her children didn't have to like them or sit in their company. Carden believed Draco Malfoy would be no different arrogant and a spoiled brat, yet his brother always found the time to talk to him. Why?

Malfoy belittled anyone he deemed beneath him, he leaned against the pillar at the top of the stairs. With two other boys he assumed were his friends. Friends, did Draco Malfoy have friends? Carden scowled at him, as he belittled Ron, for his family name, his eyes widened when he dare offer his friendship to him and Harry.

"At least his brother's better right?" Draco said, turning his attention to Hadrian, Carden stood between him and his brother.

"Don't talk to him,"

"I can speak for myself thank you," Hadrian commented, Carden bit his lip as he stood beside him.

"Next time speak up," Carden muttered under his breath, he knew Hadrian had heard him when his jaw tightened.

Professor McGonagall, the witch was exactly how his father had described her. If his father's stories were true he'd have to watch out for her to avoid unnecessary detention. Carden smiled as he waved at Rhea and Ethan, hoping he'd sit beside them as a member of Gryffindor House. He smiled at cousin Laura seated at the Hufflepuff table, and Phoebe who smiled reassuringly at both boys.

"Hermione Granger," McGonagall called up to the sorting hat. Placing her in Gryffindor.

"Draco Malfoy," the hat barely touched his head as it shouted

"SLYTHERIN!"

'No surprise there'

"Harry Potter" Carden shoved him forward, smiling as the hat had placed him in Gryffindor, one down two more to go. Two more girls were sorted into their house, Ravenclaw and Slytherin, as he was called up to the sorting hat, he eagerly sat down.

"Hmm. a thirsty for trouble I see, that creative mind could do well in Ravenclaw, though I believe you're better suited for...

"GRYFFINDOR!"

Carden leapt off the stool, running over to the Gryffindor table, he excitedly wrapped his sister Rhea in a tight hug, two down one more to go.

"Hadrian Black," he watched as his brother cautiously sat on the stool. The professor lowered the hat on his head.

He anxiously awaited the hat decision, only the hat didn't speak, sitting on his head longer than any other student. As though Hadrian might be arguing with the hat on its decision, Carden's heart dropped when the hat announced.

"SLYTHERIN!"

Hadrian didn't move, or he couldn't move. He glanced over at him before he slowly walked to his seat at the Slytherin table next to a blonde girl. He shook his head, as Rhea and his cousin Ethan looked over to Phoebe she place her hand on Hadrian's shoulder, probably to offer him comfort.

"No, this can't be happening we were supposed to stay together," he said Rhea rubbed his arm.

He tried to seem interested in the conversations, he moved his food around on his plate Rhea insisted that he should try and eat something. He still didn't even as they retreated to their common room, he couldn't enjoy the dormitory without Hades

'We should have been here together,'

He closed his eyes, praying to Merlin himself that he and Hadrian didn't end up like his father and uncle. Unable to talk to each other or simply hang out together. He needed to stick with his brother, despite what houses they were in.