𝟬𝟬𝟳 a couple of kids

CHAPTER SEVEN,a couple of kids

CHAPTER SEVEN,
a couple of kids

     IT WAS CLOSE TO MIDDAY by the time that Heyward's truck had been loaded onto the ferry to depart from the Outer Banks to its designated location at the port in Charleston, South Carolina

IT WAS CLOSE TO MIDDAY by the time that Heyward's truck had been loaded onto the ferry to depart from the Outer Banks to its designated location at the port in Charleston, South Carolina. Jaylene still wasn't entirely sure how an envelope was the key to clearing John B's name, but she trusted Pope so she didn't ask questions and just briefly listened to the trio's ongoing conversation until a topic caught her interest.

     "Maybe we'll get sent to the same boarding school."

Kiara flashed Jaylene a deadpan look at her attempt to make a joke out of the punishment her parents planned to invoke on her should she continue to disobey the strict rules they set out for her. She had begun to regret ever having mentioned it to the Rosewood girl in the first place.

Jaylene raised her brows along with her hands in defense, proceeding to sink down into the corner of the truck's trunk. She thought the joke was quite funny, but it was evident that their humor differed drastically from one another. "Uh, so you really haven't heard from him since that text he sent?" She turned towards Pope, changing the subject as her concern for John B increased by the second.

"No, and the fact that you haven't either is concerning." Pope sighed, leaning his body against the side of the truck where he stood.

"He probably played it smart and laid low in Nassau for a few days . . . right?" Jaylene chewed the inside of her cheek, her doubtful tone implying that she was having difficulty believing the words that left her mouth.

Pope nodded, less convinced than she was. "Well, until we hear from him again, we gotta try and clear his name." He proceeded to hold up the envelope he'd received earlier that day. "Right now, this letter's our best shot."

     "Right, stay on task." JJ cut into their brief conversation, bopping his head with a humorous tone coating his words that made it seem like he wasn't entirely taking the situation all that seriously. "That's why I love ya, Pope."