🕯ꕥ ║ Chapter XVII : Hidden Sorrow

⚜⋅•⋅⋅•⋅⊰⋅•⋅⋅•⋅∙∘☽༓☾∘∙⋅•⋅⋅•⋅⊰⋅•⋅⋅•⋅⚜

Bruno had always found comfort in silence. Especially under the moonlight above, along with an iridescent ocean of pinprick lights stretched across. When he had a lot on his mind, he would linger outside to watch the sunset before meeting billions of lights twinkling on the black horizon. It was lonely, yes, but it was better than being alone in his torrid desert of a room.

However, standing by Secélia, he couldn't help but feel uneasy. His eyes endlessly darted between the town and her. Despite the chilly breeze, his nervousness couldn't prevent little dewdrops of sweat from trickling down from his temple. The whispering child earlier plagued his mind. What did the kid tell her? Did he tell her about my mother's reproval earlier? Was it about my vision?

His brain was concocting a list of possible issues the kid could've slipped out, looking at her for any reaction that might match his guess. It was like charades, but just with him and his worries.

Meanwhile, Secélia made no other move, only silently looking up at the swarm of white stars, staring as the winds sing a faint song of her memories.

Exhaling a sigh, Bruno brushes his hair back. He abandons his own little guessing game, realizing that it was just petty at this point. Maybe, it wouldn't be that big of a problem.

Cutting the long minute of uncomfortable silence for him, Secélia begins to voice her thoughts. "When we were strolling around town, I saw how your family helps with the people." Bruno threw a glance from the side, brows raising at the mentioned relatives.

"Those three kids caught my eye. I heard that they're already helping at five years old. More so the strong one⁠—Luisa, right?" She furrows her brows. "I noticed she's been collecting donkeys that escaped since this morning, yet the man responsible for it did nothing. Isn't that a bit unfair?"

"True, but—"

"But they expect from you? From your family?" She interrupted, folding her arms in annoyance and pity. "They're still kids, Bruno. Don't you think your people are relying too much?"

"That wouldn't matter, Secélia." Bruno countered, frowning. "Mamá said we'd work hard together to keep the miracle burning, and it's been that way since we were given a miracle."

"Well," Secélia scoffs, her eyes rolling. "don't you suppose she'd consider the candle to be her child instead if she loves it more than her actual children?"

Bruno breathes out a laugh, yet his heart stung. He felt utterly hurt by that. He knows his mother cares for them. He's heard people complain about their flaws and mistakes when they were still little. Before every time they would practice their gifts, all of them led to nothing but fiascoes. Before, they were frowned upon by the masses.

But Alma always concedes by providing solutions to the problems they made. Not once she ever sought forgiveness, and always took responsibility on their behalf.

However, that was the truth; Alma had only been concerned with the magic.

Ever since their father disappeared, she was carrying too much burden alone, and he knows that.

So if he had to lie, even to himself. Then so be it.

His short-lived laughter dies down with a sigh. Now it was his turn to gaze at the twinkling stars accompanying the moon, muttering another prayer that he only hoped would be heard.

"What made you ask that question, anyway?" He raises an interrogative brow. "Was this about the deal?"

"...Maybe." She manages to utter out her lips, now stiffly rubbing her fingers together. "You heard how my children were so adamant to help the town, yes?"