PART 2/2

Chaeyoung woke up with a throbbing headache. She blink a couple of times to make out the image in front of her; It's Jennie Kim hovering over her, the knight's elegance and beauty shining under the new moon.

She pinches her cheeks and reality washes over her. The look of horror on her face, "You gave me your word Jennie!" A quick, desirable death (in exchange for her submission) was all she wanted.

Jennie runs a hand through her hair like she didn't hear anything at all. She kneels on one knee and hands a glass canteen bottle to Chaeyoung, "You're a free woman now."

But Chaeyoung is befuddled by the words, "Free?"

As a response, Jennie gave her a faint smile. She didn't retreat her hand and waited for Chaeyoung to take the bottle. The gesture of the knight seems suspicious but Chaeyoung took it anyways.

She noticed how Jennie took a sharp intake of breath before she stands up, "I look forward to the day that I will see you again" the knight's brown eyes sparkled with sadness as she turned around and elegantly rides her white stallion. Chaeyoung is still seated on the turf, her nose smells something familiar, like a smell of a flower, she thought to herself, 'what was that?' while her eyes are locked on the knight's every move.

Jennie looks at Chaeyoung once again, and their eyes meet. 'What do you want to say, Jennie?' she wanted to voice it out but shake the words off her mind. It's her first time seeing those cat eyes in that kind of state they are right now. They were once mesmerizing but now filled with sorrow. Jennie noticed that Chaeyoung is figuring her out and made a verbal cue while squeezing her leg gently on her horse ribcage signaling them it's time to go, the white horse swiftly followed his master and disappears into the forest.

The familiar fragrance is gone and was replaced with something else. Her nostrils are now filled with the smell of rare medicinal herbs, that can only be found in the depths of the mountains, oozing on different parts of her body. The first thing she noticed is her appearance. She wears an expensive white muslin dress paired with comfortable footwear. She felt a tight bandage on her torso, and her feet and hand were skillfully wrapped. To her surprise, she felt better and wondered, "How long did I sleep?"

She tries to stand up when a sharp pain in her temple arises. She holds unto the tree to keep her balance. It was a mere split second when her memory was recalling something; painting, lavender, porridge, book.. She opens the glass canteen and dranks from it, relieving her thirst and headache.

"What was that?" She asked herself again while she wipes the droplets of water on her chin and noticed a piece of paper slipped on the leather cover. She leaned her back against the tree and unfolded the paper.

Chaeyoung had never seen such beautiful calligraphy as the one she's holding. The cursive handwriting was so linear and perfect but there were visible drops of water, like tears, smudging some portions of the black ink. She traces the smudge parts on her fingers while a sunken feeling arises on her chest. She shrugged it off and reads the letter.

'My dearest Chaeyoung Park,

It is clear that after this night, I am a complete monster in your eyes. It pains me knowing that you have to carry the trauma of what I did as long as you live.

As a knight, I pledge my loyalty to the Queen and the state. It is my duty to put an end to the rebellion but as someone who knows how to love, it is my responsibility to protect the person I deeply care for and love for a long time.

Lord Loren, Lord Jungkook, and I will raid the villages in the eastern sea on the first night of the lunar eclipse. Be prepared. I hope to meet you there. You have to promise me Chaeyoung that you will put a knife to my throat and kill me.