Chapter 01: Wednesday's Woe and Lolita's Sorrow

Lolita's POV
The radio squawks as it plays In Dreams by Roy Orbison. Our parents sit in the back of the carriage with Wednesday and I as Pugsley sits up front with Lurch.

He's thankfully spared from the....uncomfortable sight of our parents in their little bubble of love. A part of me envied them though, I desired a love like that. I wonder.....if Romeo and Juliet lived, would they still be so in love when they're old?

"Into the magic night; I softly say; A silent prayer; Like dreamers do; Then I fall asleep to dream; My dreams of you; I remember; That you said goodbye..." they started making out with moans that cause Wednesday to cover my ears as I shield my eyes.

After a moment Wednesday removed her hand, and I timidly removed mine as well "Hmm. I promise you, my little viper, and my moonlight, you will love Nevermore. Won't they, Tish?" Dad asked "Of course. It's the perfect school for them" mom replied "Why? Because it was the perfect school for you? I have no interest in following in your footsteps. Becoming captain of the fencing team, Queen of the Dark Prom, President of the Séance Society" Wednesday fired back making me look at her.

She grasp my hand as mom back tracked "I merely meant that finally you two will be among peers who understand you. Maybe you'll even make some friends" dad added "Nevermore is like no other boarding school. It's a magical place. It's where I met your mother. And we fell in love" they both sighed lovingly and I couldn't help but hope that I'd meet someone.

I subconsciously squeezed Wednesday's hand causing her to look at me and squeeze my hand back before looking back at our parents and saying "You guys are making me nauseous. Not in a good way" "Darling, we aren't the ones who got you expelled. That boy's family was going to file attempted murder charges. How would that have looked on your record?" Mom said "Terrible. Everyone would know I failed to get the job done" Wednesday replied.

We pulled to the front of Nevermore and got out. Lurch unloaded our bags with Pugsley while we went to Grey the principal; Ms. Weems.

We sat down and she immediately said "Wednesday is certainly a unique name. I'm guessing it was the day you were born?" "I was born on Friday the 13th" Wednesday corrected "Her name comes from a line from my favorite nursery rhyme, 'Wednesday's child is full of woe'" mom explained "You always had a unique perspective on the world, Morticia" Ms. Weems said.

Ms. Weems then turned to me "Lolita is lovely. Where did yours come from?" Before I could answer, mom said "It means sorrow. It fit with woe" she was curt with Ms. Weems and they each gave the other a scalding look.

"Did your mother tell you we were roommates back in the day?" Ms. Weems said attempting to change the subject "And you graduated with your sanity intact? Impressive" Wednesday commented as she eyed both of them before reaching out and grabbing my hand. She squeezed once, questioningly. I squeezed back twice, confirming that I was okay.

"You've both certainly had a very interesting educational journey. Eight schools in five years" Ms. Weems continued "They haven't built one strong enough to hold me. I bet this place won't be any different" Wednesday said as I shrugged and added "Where Wednesday goes, I go" "What our daughter is trying to say is that she greatly appreciates the opportunity" dad added attempting to cover up Wednesday's blunder.

"Nevermore doesn't usually accept students mid-term, but given Wednesday's perfect grades and your family's long history with the school, I've spoken with the board and we've made an exception" Ms. Weems said before standing up and walking us out to show us our dorm.

"Larissa, what about Wednesday and Lolita's, um... therapy sessions? The court ordered them" mom asked "The school has a relationship with a therapist in Jericho. She can meet twice a week" Ms. Weems said "Did you hear that, my little storm cloud? Blizzard? You're in excellent hands" dad said cheerfully "We'll see if she survives the first session" Wednesday commented.