three

Me, Xia, and Ned are all sitting down at me and Ned's usual lunch spot

Me, Xia, and Ned are all sitting down at me and Ned's usual lunch spot. Ned is telling Xia some dumb story that has her giggling like crazy.

These two.

I look at Xia as she looks so intrigued by my idiotic friend. I frown when I remember how earlier she told me that Michael invited her to sit with him at lunch today.

Michael is your typical cliché highschool popular guy, girls love him and guys want to be him. Me?

I just don't care.

Michael was the star basketball player who could get any girl he wanted, so it doesn't surprise me that he would try to get with Xia. I've only known her for half a day and I'm already fascinated by her.

Plus she was hot.

She's all anyone is talking about. 'The cute new girl'. So much for blending in, but then again, Xia doesn't really give off 'blending in' vibes. I've noticed a lot of eyes on our lunch table and it's really weird.

I prefer to keep a low profile, fly under the radar. Xia is definitely changing that for me. They probably want to know why someone like her would sit with us.

I guarantee that by next week she would find her place amongst all those popular airheads.

I snap out of my thoughts when Xia snaps her fingers in my face. "What do you think Milo?"

"What do I think about what?" I say, giving her a confused look.

She rolls her eyes. "Ned was telling me about this place that sells different flavors of creamed ice!" She has a big eager smile on her face and her eyes are wide and excited.

I smile. Cute.

Ned is laughing like crazy. "This girl is bizarre, how have you not heard of ice cream? Where did you transfer from, space?"

Xia and I share and look.

Xia opens her mouth and explains, "Ice cream is not a concept where I am from."

Shocked fills Ned's pale face, "Where are you from?"

"Indiana," I answer for her. She gives me a puzzled look before looking at Ned and nodding her head.

"Yes... Indiana, there is no ice cream there," she states confidently.

Ned looks between us like we're crazy and I just shrug.

******
At the end of a surprising normal-ish school day, I'm waiting for Xia outside by my car. She said something about making another new friend.

At this point she already has more friends than me and she just got here.

I'm scrolling through my phone when I see the shadow of a figure approach me. My eyes meet with Michael Barnes.

"Yo Mellow, mind if we talk for a sec?" Michael asks.

"It's Milo." I say eyeing him. What does he want?

"Right.. Milo. You seem to be pretty close with Xia so I was wondering if you could put in a good word for me?"

Of course it's Xia related. Michael Barnes had never uttered a single word to me until now and we've been classmates since second grade. But my thing is, why does he need my help?

"Sorry man, I just met her today too. I don't know her very well," I say as I shrug. It's true.

Michael starts to say something when I see Xia and another girl come walking out the school laughing.

Her smile.

What? No. Anyway.

When they come closer I recognize the girl as Sophi. Sophi is a tall korean girl with pale pink hair who usually dresses in all black. She's known for simultaneously having great grades and being in detention.

I watch as Sophi waves goodbye to Xia and head to her skateboard.

When Xia approaches me, I see Michael smirk.

"Xia baby, how was your first day?" Michael says eyeing her up and down.

"Really well! Everyone is so nice!" Xia claims, I swear her eyes sparkle.

Serious Milo. Stop.

Michael nods. "Good, I was just talking to my buddy Milo here and I was wondering if I could get your phone number?"

Xia raises her eyebrow. "What's a pho-"

I cut her off for like the hundredth time today, "Xia we gotta go, I promised I would have you home by now."

Xia narrows her eyes at me and then looks at Michael. "Hey I have to leave, but it was really nice meeting you Mikey!"

A soft smirk appears on my lips as I get in my car.

I check in my rear view to see Xia give Michael a hug.

I clench my jaw.

****