four

"Milo, what's a phone?"

Ever since I got in the car with Milo, he's been kind of quiet. Every time I would say something he would only give me short responses.

It's really bothering me because I really want him to talk to me.

I look over at him and see him in thought. "It's like a device you can use to access a wide variety of information. You can take pictures, videos, and even call and text people."

"We have something like that on my planet!" I take out my earrings. "These babies help me talk to my family and friends, listen to music, and do research," I explain.

Milo turns and takes his eyes off the road for a second to look at them. His face softens and he actually looks interested.

We end up chatting back and forth for a while about the similarities and differences between the technologies on our planets. Milo eventually opens up to me about his love for science and how he wishes to work for this place called NASA in the future. I can tell that he's really smart.

I watch as he stops the vehicle in front of what appears to be a giant store.

"Come on Xia, we're buying you a phone," Milo says as he unbuckles his seatbelt.

When we get inside I stop and take in my surroundings.

"A giant store with little stores inside of it," I mumble. This is so cool. On Izar, we had servants who would do all of our shopping for us. Mother would be so pissed to know that her perfect little princess was in a place like this.

I follow Milo around for a bit until we approach a store called Apple and I giggle.

"A store dedicated to one fruit is kind of silly," I say, looking up at Milo.

He looks down at me and smiles.

"Xia this place sells technology," he says rolling his eyes.

When we walk in we are immediately approached by a guy in a black shirt with an apple on it. "Hey guys, welcome to Apple! What can we help you with today?" His eyes linger down at me for a bit too long before Milo clears his throat.

The guy flushes and turns his attention to Milo. Milo gives him a tight lipped smile. "I want to buy the newest iPhone model," he says dryly before looking at me. "What color Xi?"

"Pink!"

The guy nods and takes us over to the register while he goes into a back room. He came back out within seconds with a rectangular box. "That will bring your total to nine hundred-"

Milo reaches into his pocket and pulls out a shiny black card, silencing the guy. The worker slides the card quickly and hands it back to Milo. He then puts the box in a little bag and hands it to us.

"Thank you for shopping at Apple, have a good day."

I give him a big smile and wave goodbye.

Milo leads me out of the store and into an area with tables and chairs. We take a seat and he opens the box.

Milo spends the next thirty minutes or so going over the phone with me, making sure that I understand how to use it. Once I understand how it works, I put it in my pocket and my stomach growls.

I'm hungry.

Milo has an amused look on his face. "Someone's hungry," he smiles.

I cross my arms over my chest and pout.

He looks at me in a way I can't really read and then stands up. Just as I attempt to follow him, he shakes his head. "I'll be right back Xi," and then he walks away.

I frown and sit back down. I pull out my phone and look at all the little applications he installed for me. I go to my contact book and see that he already put his number in.

Milo 🚀

I smile. Now I can give Michael my phone number too along with Ned and Sophi and-

"A burger and fries for the lady," Milo says, interrupting my thoughts.

"It appears to be some sort of sandwich?" I say, examining the food he placed in front of me. Don't get me wrong, the food on Izar and Earth are like second cousins. Related but not super close. Not to mention royalty eats way different than commoners. Sandwiches were a lower class meal so I was never allowed to have one.

Milo looks at me impressed, "Yeah Xi, it's really good."

It smells good. I pick it up carefully bring it up to my mouth and take a big bite.

"Oh my stars!" I exclaim as I take another bite. "Zenolp Milo this tastes SO good," I say taking another bite.

Milo laughs, "Slow down Xia, you're gonna hurt yourself."

I start mumbling in my language as I finish the sandwich and start eyeing the little sticks he also brought me. I pick one up, "They smell like potatoes." I give Milo a confused look as I eat take a bite.

Yum. I smile at Milo, "This is the best food I've ever had."

He looks at me confused. "Aren't you some sort of royalty where you're from? Surely you've had finer meals than a greasy burger and some fries."

I wipe my mouth and nod."I am next in line to be Queen. Which, according to my mother, means that I can't indulge myself in meals like these." I take another fry and continue, "So that meant only the most healthiest and blandest foods for me."

Milo gives me a sympathetic look. "Well good thing you're here because I am going to introduce you to the most unhealthy delicious foods that Earth had to offer."

I smile at him and watch as his cheeks heat up red.

Cute.

****