Chapter 42

"Do you know who I am?" asks the Chinese man as he leans with his back against the wall opposite Mason.

Mason says nothing, just shakes his head calmly.

"My name is John Zhang Dequan, I'm the CEO of the Dragon Corporation, I'm guessing you've heard of that?"

Mason nods "yeah I've heard of it, you're into shipping, didn't think you were into the drug game though"

"Oh I'm in to all sorts of things" he says waving his hand around nonchalantly, "shipping, smuggling, drugs, even weapons. There's so much you don't know"

"Really, I'm pretty sure you're behind the nuclear attack, and that it's you who distributed the drugs to the townships"

Zhang doesn't hesitate he just calmly walks across the room and leans with his hands on the table in front of Mason.
"Yes you're right, congratulations" he says pouting his lips as he nods. "I already knew that the FBI were on to us, I'll admit though I only found out the full gravity of the situation when I spoke to my government source just a few hours ago. You see, I knew the net was closing in, I just didn't know how far things had progressed until we took your friends captive"

"Where are they?" asks Mason in a stern tone.

"Oh they're here under guard. the young female agent proved very popular, especially with the guards"

Mason's anger boils over, he try's to yank his arms free from behind him causing Zhang to jump away from the table.

"Ah, you care for her" he says menacingly. "I must tell Silas to give her some of his special treatment"

"You touch her and I'll kill you!" yells Mason through gritted teeth.

Zhang chuckles to himself. "I think even you might struggle to achieve that, the chair you're sat in is bolted to the floor and after everything we've heard about you we've taken every precaution to make sure you stay exactly where you are"

Zhang pulls a chair over from the corner of the room and sits opposite Mason.

"So, after all the chasing and manipulation in trying to capture you and here you are, delivered to me on a plate. I must admit I was surprised when I heard you'd been captured, I really couldn't believe it until I saw your id."

He reaches inside his jacket and pulls out Mason's ID from his pocket. "Special Agent Joseph Mason, Hive security, impressive" says Zhang nodding his head in mocking approval.
"They must trust you, I mean, no training, no background checks, and you haven't even taken the oath yet. It normally takes some time to fully train an agent yet, here you are"

"Yep, here I am"  replies Mason quietly.

"So tell me Agent Mason, what else have you managed to figure out?" He says folding his arms.

"What I do know is you're a sadistic fuck, killing millions of innocent people and attempting to hide the crime by trying to stop our mission to Washington. If anything that was you're first mistake, in doing that we figured that whoever planned the Independence Day attack was also responsible for the attack on me, to stop us from learning the truth"

"Very good Mr Mason, I am impressed. Except that I'm not a sadistic fuck, as you call it. Everything I've done has been part of a much larger plan, and a few million people wound up as collateral damage, my bad" he says shrugging his shoulders.

Mason just stares at Zhang, not quite able to contemplate where this guys morals lay.

"I can tell you can't believe what you're hearing, that I have no remorse. Well, here's the plan just to put it into context for you.