Chapter 12

Mason heads back into LA in Colvin's car. He'd searched it thoroughly before leaving San Diego knowing it'd have a tracker fitted somewhere and after about 10 minutes of searching he finally found it in the trunk, wired into a separate circuit. He ripped it out and threw it as far as he could into the darkness.
Mason felt bad for being so rough with Colvin but he couldn't take any chances. Sure Colvin had looked out for him and protected Mason through the shoutout at the hospital but he knew that Colvin was only doing his job.
Mason had planned out his next move, first he had to get home and hope the Feds hadn't got there first. He needed a gun, money, and a change of clothes. Then he'd head to San Francisco to see his sister. Sure she despises him for what he is but surely she'll help him with this poison that's in his body, she is a medical student after all.
Mason pulls into his street just as the sun starts to rise. Normally he'd check the remote security cameras from his phone but as the Feds confiscated it at the border he doesn't have that option anymore. He parks the car up the street and makes his way between his neighbours house to the beach round back, crouching down he runs toward the sea, trying to keep himself out of sight of the houses and their large terraces. Mason looks closely at his house checking for any sign of movement and see's nothing and a sense of hope builds in his chest, that the FEDS haven't reached his house yet and that he can get his things and still get out undetected. Staying crouched down he shuffles across to the wooden steps that lead up from the beach to his terrace. He freezes at movement from the other side of the glass doors, someone is sitting in one of his chairs with their back to the doors! Mason slowly backs down the steps and creeps up the side of his house, making for the small window which opens into the underground garage. It would of been alarmed but whoever's inside must of disarmed the system. Mason looks around for something that he can use to break in but he can't find anything so he gets down on his hands and knees and tries to pry it open with his fingers knowing deep down that it's probably impossible but he tries all the same. The window pops open easily as the lock breaks off and clatters on the hard garage floor inside. Mason frowns in confusion, "I'm sure I locked that" he whispers under his breath.
He lays flat and squeezes through the tiny window feet first, using his work bench inside the garage as a ladder to get down. The room is in complete darkness but for some reason Mason can see quite well, the whole area seems to be tinged in a faint blue glow and this confuses him slightly. He goes back to the window to close it and finds the latch has been ripped off. Maybe this is how the intruder got in?

Mason goes to the gun cupboard, unlocks it and takes out the beretta and inserts a fresh clip, then slowly makes his way up the stairs to the door which leads from the garage to the kitchen. As he reaches it he knows he's at a disadvantage with whoever it is who's sat in his lounge, the open plan kitchen is in full view of the lounge so he'll be completely exposed. He opens the door a crack to see his house is still in complete darkness. He needs a diversion, something to level the odds. Fortunately the sound of the waves crashing on the beach outside will help hide any noise he makes and that had probably masked the sound of his break in. Mason pauses for a second trying to think of something, anything that could help his cause but he comes up blank. He decides to go for broke as he bursts in through the door with his gun drawn ready.

"Don't move" he says quietly at the figure sat in the chair by his glass doors.
The figure in black freezes and a bowl of potato chips falls from their lap to the floor as the intruder raises his hands.

Mason flicks on the light to see Danny Santiago sat with his hands in the air.

"What the hell are you doing here?" says Mason lowering his gun.

"I came for the package, remember?"

Mason sighs "Holy shit Dan I could of shot you, why didn't you just turn on the damn light" he says as he places the gun on the counter and turns to the refrigerator.