Chapter 9

U.S President Simon Foster makes his way through the corridors of new government house toward the centre of the building where a large meeting room awaits him. This is where he meets with his advisors and plans government policy.

The large prefabricated government complex was hastily erected after the White House and Pentagon were destroyed in the nuclear attack some 10 years ago. Much has happened since the darkest day in American history but after all this time still no one knows what really happened. In the weeks and months that followed grief and sorrow gave way to anger and the American people wanted answers. The Hive figured out that the missiles did indeed come from the USS Texas but as to why and how she fired them still remains a mystery. Everything seemed fine until the Hive lost contact with the sub and then the trail goes cold. What is known is that a Russian alpha attack submarine was in the area at the time but that boat has never been seen or heard of since. Who knows, maybe today she'll have some answers or some new information on what the hell happened that night, but whatever it is it must be important for her to call a meeting at 2 o'clock in the morning!

Foster walks into the meeting room with the other invited members of the government all stood around in groups. The large room has no windows with a round meeting table set in the middle, the whole room is painted a sterile white with grey carpet tiles completing the formal look. Mark Ramsey, who's secretary of defence stands off to one corner engrossed in a phone call. 
Luke McKay, the presidents advisor is in a group consisting of Harold James who's the Vice President, and William Tait, the secretary for homeland security. Generals Naylor and Wilson sit waiting at the table dressed in their impeccable uniforms, for the most part they choose not to mix with the government elite.

Ramsey finishes his phone call and invites everyone to sit around the table.  Once everyone is seated he looks around at the assembled faces to ensure everyone is present then begins the briefing.

"Good morning gentleman, apologies for the early start but there's been some rather alarming developments down in Baja California"

"At the R+D facility?" asks general Wilson a little alarmed at the news.

"Yes general, I'll explain the specifics before the Queen gives you the details"

Ramsey gets to his feet to address the room, "Now, as you all know we set up a research and development lab across the border in northern Mexico and everyone here know's about the weapon discoveries that have made there together with help from the Hive.  Well yesterday that site was compromised from an unknown hostile force and a development chemical solution was stolen from the lab"

"What was it for?" asks Foster.

"We'll come to that in a moment Mr President. Now, I only became aware of this this last night when the queen informed me that the solution had indeed been stolen. It would appear that it was some sort of pipe dream that the Hive created on its own, but I've since found out the true benefits of the Hive solution and what's it's intended use is, I'll let the Queen explain in more detail"
Ramsey turns to the door as a holographic projection of a women in her early 30's appears. She's about 6 feet tall wearing a light grey business jacket and skirt that sits just above the knee. Black stilettos compliment the dark shoulder length hair and high cheekbones. This is the persona the Hive queen has taken to integrate herself within the U.S government, to communicate.
"Good morning gentleman" all of the government officials nod back in return. While the military top brass look on slightly bemused, unsure of how to act or what to say.

"No doubt you're all curious as to what the Hive solution actually is and why you were unaware of its existence. Well, the solution was designed as a test program to implement both a mechanical and chemical solution into the human body. We didn't feel the need to tell you about its existence as at the time we felt it was still a few years ahead of us in development.