Road to hell

Chapter songs - Nana - Kuroi Namida

Samuel Kim - Call of silence cover

He was right on time.

He wasn't late. Not even a day late. Not even an hour late.

Exactly six months later, Levi was right on time.

So then why wasn't she there to greet him, the way she said she would? Why did everyone tell him she was gone? Gone where? What place could she possibly have gone to where Levi couldn't find her?

Why was he staring at her grave, instead of her eyes, when he did his best to keep his promise? Despite everything, he kept his promise. He even made that blonde asshole arrange a citizenship certificate for her.

House, clothes, food, and medicine. Flowers. He had everything ready.

So then why... why was he left all alone again?

The sound of paper crumpling filled the air, Levi's fist tightening around the document and knuckles turning white. His hands trembled.

"A fucking thief 'till the very end, huh? You stole these last months from me, and I didn't even realize it," he said, yet the fresh mound of dirt in front of him didn't respond. It didn't snap at him, nor did it sarcastically joke. "You couldn't have waited another week. You were always too quick to act or talk without thinking. Glad to see you haven't changed one bit."

He couldn't help himself. "Why the fuck didn't you tell me? I would've helped you. I would've taken you to the surface and found you a proper doctor. Was I that unreliable? I–"

He couldn't stop the blistering rage from consuming him. The bitterness from creeping into his voice and thoughts.

"You rushed ahead again without me. You... all of you suck. Why am I the only one left behind?"

The made-up tombstone gazed back at him — barely a rotten plank, her name scratched across its surface. If the sun didn't hit it directly, it was almost impossible to read in the dark.

It was a shitty grave too, messy and hastily prepared.

But at least, they buried her. Few people had that privilege in the Underground.

And the spot they chose was good, too. After all, she loved the Waterfall more than anyone else.

Levi deeply sighed as he sat down in front of her, his lungs barely able to overcome the guilty weight crushing his chest. He didn't even care about the white pants of his uniform getting dirty anymore.

He felt drained. Empty. Exhausted.

He found himself talking once again. "They bit the dust too, you know. Furlan and Isabel. Titans ate them."

His gaze followed the glittering specks of dust flying in the light, the dryness of his eyes irritating. Yet his fists never loosened.

"Living on the surface is not that different from living here. They're both shitholes, and the people are fucking idiots everywhere. We're stuck between these Walls no matter where we are. The only difference is the sunlight and the rain, I gotta say. Although even those would've been enough for you probably.

"But the world outside the Walls. That one's different. It's more beautiful. Before the first expedition, you have no idea how worried I was for Furlan and Isabel. But the moment I stepped foot outside, I finally felt... free. For the first time in my life, I was finally free."

The earth remained silent.

"I don't even know why I'm telling you all this," he scoffed at his own childishness. "It's not like you can hear me, not to mention talk back. I guess a small part of me wants to spite you. Show you what you're missing out on because you hid it from me."