33| Untouchable

┏━━━✦❘༻༺❘✦━━━┓

Untouchable

┗━━━✦❘༻༺❘✦━━━┛

Chapter 33: Untouchable (Stella's POV)

I didn't remember when or where I fell asleep but I was almost certain it was on the couch and not in this bed. Yet somehow, it happened every time and I'd wake up in bed. 

Releasing a sigh, I stretched in bed and went to rub my eyes, wincing in pain as my fingertips pressed against my left cheekbone, drawing that pain to the surface all over again. "Motherfucker," I mumbled. 

Isn't it lovely to start my day with 'motherfucker'? 

Groaning, I stood up and headed to the bathroom, squinting under the lights for a few seconds before I finally got a glance at my reflection. The bruise on my cheekbone had reached a lovely shade of crimson with a hint of purple and the busted lip had dried blood stuck to it. 

"Beautiful," I said to myself sarcastically before I freshened up, brushing my teeth and washing my face gently. 

Last night, Rhys handed me his clothes for bed and then disappeared somewhere to answer a phone call... 

I think I was asleep on the couch before he got back. 

With sleeves flowing way past my hands and flapping everywhere and sweatpants that got tangled up under my feet no matter how many times I rolled the waistband, I wandered downstairs and into the kitchen where I found Rhys peacefully chopping up veggies with his back to me. "What are you making?" I asked, popping up beside him. 

He merely glanced at me as if he knew I was lingering around him. "Lunch." 

I blinked in confusion and searched for a clock nearby but couldn't spot one. 

"It's noon," he added, "you slept in, Sleeping Beauty." 

"Cut me some slack," I huffed, "my head was pounding even in my sleep." 

Pausing, he diverted his attention to me and tucked his knuckles under my chin, tilting the bruising side of my cheek until it faced him. "Let me see," he mumbled, "luckily, it's not a nasty bruise." He withdrew his hand. "It'll simmer down in a few days." 

I watched him for a few seconds as he continued cooking. "Did you put me to bed?" I questioned. 

"Who else would put you to bed when you fall asleep on my couch?" His eyes shifted, glancing over my attire. The ghost of a smile tugged at his lips. "You can lose the pants before you trip over them, you know." 

"Why?" I questioned, staring at him, my eyes raking across his face. "Do you want to see me in my underwear?" 

His eyes cut to mine. "That's a very dangerous question, Ms. Almonte." 

"Is it? Well, I work with a strict give-and-take rule in life. You get some..." I paused to glance down at his clothes, "you lose some." 

He held my gaze, an amused smirk playing on his lips. "Are you flirting with me, Doragaya?" 

"No, just returning the favor," I replied casually, pulling myself onto the counter, safely away from the stove. I hesitated, tucking my hands under my thighs and rocking my legs back and forth as I pondered over my question. "Did my father call?"