ᴀʟʟ ᴛʜɪɴɢꜱ ᴛʜᴀᴛ ʟᴇᴀᴅ ᴍᴇ ᴛᴏ ʏᴏᴜ | ᴊ. ᴍɪʟʟᴇʀ

Summary: in the early mornings of sunrise, joel remembers his life in moments

Summary: in the early mornings of sunrise, joel remembers his life in moments. specifically all the moments that lead him to you

NO SPOILERS

fluff | Pre-pandemic!Joel x reader

A flavour of warmth danced crossed Y/N's skin. Sliding and grasping her body at every edge. As the sunlight poured from the bedroom window- she immediately felt her eyes begin to flicker. It was mornings like these that she could be sure of. Waking up just before the alarm clock rattled next to her head, or the man sleeping next to her began to stir. Mornings like this were her favourite.

As the blankets dragged against her bare arms, she fidgeted beneath the covers. Her tank top having become twisted in the night. Sound asleep next to her, Joel snored softly. His dark brown hair looking rather estranged. He slept hard the night before. After having to frame almost an entire house with just him and Tommy, the labours of his hard work were rewarded by a well deserved nap.

Her staring must have alerted him somehow. Y/N's gaze soon finding his barely open eyes. He was exhausted that much she knew. But she didn't need to speak. Rather as he lifted his arm and waited for her to cuddle into his side, she let out a content sigh. "M'morning." Joel mumbled, his voice raspy and raw. Snug against his bare chest Y/N spoke the same. "Morning."

Their breaths fell in time with one another, soaking up the other person's being as they rested in the warmth. Their bed was a private island where nothing could bother them. Topped high with countless blankets and sheets that seemed to only make an appearance when Y/N spent the night. White linens that Joel sometimes forgot he owned until he came home to find Y/N in them. Glancing over at the clock, bright red numbers tell Joel that it's barely 6am. letting out a soft groan, he almost smother's Y/N with the blankets. "Go back to sleep, it's too early to get up just yet." he pulls her against him. Shoving her head underneath his chin and grazing his finger against her back.

It wasn't the first time Y/N had spent the night, it was far from it actually. She had been in his life for years now, and he was well accustomed to her presence in his bed- however, every morning he woke up with her in his arms felt new. Like it was the first time he had experienced such love.

Dating as a single father was not hard per say, but it came with a multitude of concerns. Would the woman he like be a fan of children? Would she think he was a good father? What about his brother who always seemed to cause trouble- they were sort of a package deal. Even with a mile of worries, there was never one that stood as tall, and as important as his Daughter. Would Sarah like her?

Thankfully, Joel had been smart about his choice in dating. He never brought someone back to his place. Especially if he didn't see it going forward past a few months. Then he met Y/N.

She wasn't one of the women he had seen on in fact she was anything but that. Their paths had crossed multiple times before she ever took the title as his girlfriend.