ʀᴇɢᴜʟᴀʀꜱ | ᴊ. ᴍɪʟʟᴇʀ

NO SPOILERS

summary: when joel can't seem to take a hint, the bartender at the community pub finally steps in. pre pandemic fluff

Joel was hardly the first man to come across Y/N's bar. In fact he was one out of maybe fifty. Living on the outskirts of a small texan community came with many perks. One of which was a close knit group of regulars. People that you could actually enjoy talking to when pouring drinks versus just the usual sleaze bags. Plus they tipped well so she couldn't complain.

The miller brothers were probably her favorite, although she would never tell. There was something about Tommy's cliche charm and Joel's allusiveness that kept her on her toes. Every friday they rolled in around nine o'clock and Y/N's day became a little bit better.

If she was clever, she might just try and hide the effect the two men had on her. But even if she did, Tommy would've seen right through her. She had known the boys since high school, and while they weren't exactly close by any means, Y/N was always a familiar face in the background. "Hey Y/N." Tommy smiled sliding into the empty stool at the end of the bartop. His brother sulked along behind him, most likely dragged out against his will. "Hey Tommy." The woman grinned, polishing a glass with her handy rag.

It was evident that Joel was carrying a lot on his shoulders. From what she had heard, his job with the contractor didn't look too great and Tommy had just gotten out of lock up again. "Joel" Y/N greeted, nodding her head at her senior. The man returned her smile and nodded in her direction. "Hey hun."

Leaning against the cooler, She did a quick survey of the bar before settling on him and his brother. "What can I get for y'all?" brushing a strand of hair from her face. She didn't need to ask- knowing that Joel would request whiskey before Tommy picked one of the shittier beers on her list.

"Uh- a double for Joe and a couple of lonestars for me." Tommy slid her a twenty, opening his tab for the night. The girl wrinkled her nose, causing Joelto stare inquisitively.

Busying herself with the order, Y/N cracked open the two beers and slid them across the countertop. "You're loyal to a fault Tom." she grimaced. "If you keep this up, Eventually i'm gonna show up at the house and teach you what a good beer is." she threatened playfully. Joel chuckled from beside his brother. "Don't encourage him."

As Tommy whisked himself away to mingle with the crowd, Y/N fell into routine as she usually did. When Joel and his brother came in on fridays, the two of them would talk for hours. Pouring his whiskey, she leaned for a moment. "How's sarah doing?" she smiled.

"She's great. Staying with the Adlers tonight, I got a really early morning and there's no school for another week. I figured she should at least have something to do while im gone." Joel was always working too hard. Being a single father didn't leave him with much of a choice in the matter but he never complained.

He loved being a father and everyone could see it. There was nothing he wouldn't do for Sarah. "She's a good kid, saw her at the bus stop the other day. She would not stop talking about your birthday present." Y/N chuckled.

Joel Leaned against the bar, a playful smile dancing across his lips. "You wouldn't mind telling me what that is would ya?"

Laughing bashfully, Y/N gave him a soft flick with her towel. "You listen here mister. I ain't no snitch. All I will say is that you're gonna love it." her eyelashes fluttered. "How old are ya gonna be now? Is it time for me to pull out a hearse yet?" she joked.

The man groaned. "God I hope not. Thirty-six and I'm not ready for no hearse yet." he cracked his back before commenting. "Even if I do feel geriatric" Having worked his entire life, Joel was probably a lot worse for wear than other men his age. Having not gone to college or an easy life- his efforts were shown physically.

"Well, If theres a birthday Party I wouldn't mind an invitation." Y/N hummed gently. "Maybe for once I could see you away from this ol' place.' she sprinkled the seed ever so gently, she wasn't even sure if Joel would've noticed.

The man glanced up from the football game on the television. "You wanna come over?" he asked almost in shock. He had heard time and time again from Tommy that He should make a move on Y/N. But he never would've thought she would be making one on him.

The woman shrugged. "Would that be so bad?" she asked, wiping the counter in front of him. Joel took a moment- hesitating on his answer. He looked down in his glass, swirling the amber liquid in thought.

A smile graced his lips as he found the woman's seemingly anxious gaze. "Not one bit." Sarah liked Y/N, that much he knew. If he had thought otherwise, her prospect would've been completely off the table.

"Good." Y/N hummed. She whisked herself away, still having to work for a living. She couldn't let all of her time be consumed by Joel Miller. Afterall, even if she wasn't busy- she had to leave him guessing.

By the time the bar had come to a close, Tommy and Joel were the only two stragglers left hanging around. Everyone else having already found their way home for the night. It wasn't late by any means, but their community was mostly people older than fifty- so the late night crowd usually retired by nine.

As Y/N finished cleaning up her bar, she noticed the two brothers pulling their jackets on, getting ready to head out. Tommy waving at her from the door. "You take care now Y/N-" Wandering his way out into the parking lot- no doubt for a smoke while joel finished up.

"You got a ride home tonight?" Joel asked, walking around the bar. He watched as Y/N swept out the last of the dirt and dumped it into the trash. Grabbing her purse and her coat, she nodded. "Texas Transit" she grinned.

Joel took a breath. "If you want-"

The girl shook her head. "I live twenty minutes from here. I'll be fine." she assured him. Joel smiled sheepishly. "What if I just wanted to spend more time with you." he walked with her to the door, watching as she flicked out the lights and locked up.

The woman paused, now standing outside the bar with the neon sign flickering overhead. Her skin illuminated in shades of red and blue. "Well, then I would suggest you ask me to Dinner."

Clearing his throat, Joel tried to fight off the warmth swelling in his chest. The way this woman stared up at him with such sparkles in her eyes- it made his heart beat just a little bit faster. "Okay uhm-" he shook his head. It had been years since he had to court somebody like this.

"Y/N, Would you like to go to dinner with me?" he asked, practically forcing it out of himself ashe tried not to stumble over his words.

The girl smirked. "Are you asking me on a date Joel Miller?" she blushed.

The man nodded. "Yes I am." he assured.

Y/N knew in that very moment, that Joel was a good man. Not that she had any quarrels about that thought before. However, as they stood underneath neon and starlight- something in their relationship changed. Joel had gone from being her favorite regular to the man she would spend the rest of her life with.