Chapter 1: Seeking Refuge

Marek went about his daily routine of hunting in order to sustain himself in the wasteland where his cabin resided. Months passed since he last had contact with another human being, let alone any animals he had not killed. It had been since the Second Calamity that his isolation began, to be precise. He ready to give up hope, when one day he came across an Oracle Orb, which he recovered from the satchel on the remains of a Xerian Mage. After deciphering its properties and how to use it, he consulted it for any problem he had.

After a long day of hunting, Marek returned home, hauling a deer he shot and wounded with his mystical bow, and decapitated with his sword. Upon his return, he collapsed on the faded sofa for half an hour before skinning the beast and carving out the flesh and meat, which would be his dinner.

"Of all fates to befall me," Marek said to himself, "I had to be separated from my group. And for all I know, Cora could be dead! These Xerian monsters will pay for making me resort to primitive living, and taking away everything important to me!"

Had the world not fallen to interdimensional invasion, Marek could be living overseas in a mansion in Birmingham, with a large sum of money he inherited from his grandparents. When the Second Calamity occurred, however, he had been knocked unconscious only to awaken and find his neighborhood burned to the ground. His beloved fiancée had also vanished on the same day, leaving him devastated. Now, the lone Daemon Hunter lived in a shabby, cramped cabin, desperately lacking food, clean water, firewood, and other supplies.

Armed only with an enchanted bow, a broadsword, a couple of knives, a bolt-action hunting rifle with only a few bullets, and some spellbooks and tomes he had taken from Daemon remains, Marek was forced to hunt wild game in order to procure consumables, relying on his skills and wit to survive.

After preparing and eating his venison, Marek angrily collapsed on his worn mattress. "Why does it have to be like this? As the greatest Daemon Hunter in the world, I deserve more!"

The Oracle Orb on his half-broken bookcase glowed brightly and spoke: "To persist and be grateful are traits you lack; you dwell too much, and keep looking back."

"My life could have been better!" Marek shouted at the crystal sphere. "It was these unwelcome 'guests' that had to ruin my chances of having a promising lifestyle! I did not join the Church at a young age in vain! After learning of these Daemons, I worked and studied hard and long to accomplish great feats and become known to all of the Church, yet I now live in obscurity!"

"The greatest one is what you seek to be, yet it is Tyrell Wolf the Gods all see," the Orb said in its heavenly voice.

Marek raised a brow. "Tyrell Wolf? Who is that?"

The Oracle Orb conjured a holographic image of the individual in question within its glowing mist. "He is High Prince Azrael's newest form, his current incarnation who shall restore the norm."

Marek's eyes widened. "Zane Azrael has come back into this world? And it's him? He is the rebirth of the Last Prince? That cannot be! Why have I never heard of him?"

"Limited knowledge did he hold, yet as he learned more, he became more bold," the Orb stated. "The greatest hero known is him, indeed. He will defeat the Dark Lord, whose power shall recede."

"Hmmm . . ." Marek folded his arms, ". . . well, I guess being a common warrior isn't so bad. I could be in a worse spot; I still have my knowledge of mythology and Mana, without which I would possibly be dead, but . . ." He narrowed his eyes, gazing through the cracked window. ". . . perhaps I could meet up with this Tyrell Wolf, if I am able to locate him?"