Chapter 8: Staying Hidden

Azrael and Aria sprinted for a while before eventually stopping to catch their breath.

". . . I believe we managed to lose Marek," Azrael said through heavy panting.

"Good . . ." Aria said, ". . . less we see of him, the better."

Azrael held up the Prominence Crystal. "Now . . . time to return."

Immediately, Tyrell felt himself being pulled forward into the circle through which he saw and heard everything happening. Next thing he knew, he was back in control of his body, and was met with a heavy feeling of soreness wearing through his legs and torso, and heavy effort in the need to draw breath. Fortunately, the Prominence Crystal lit up again and began to hum and vibrate, alleviating these unpleasant sensations.

Of course, the Crystal has regenerative powers. Tyrell thought.

He held the Crystal to Aria. "Hold this, it'll replenish your energy."

Without hesitation, Aria took the Crystal, which glowed brighter and hummed again, and she let out a sigh of relief.

"That's much better," she said.

It was only then that Tyrell noticed they stopped outside of what looked like a large church building.

"The Cathedral of the Incarnation," Aria commented after noticing Tyrell gazing up at the building.

Wondering about what the police could be up to back at the hotel, Tyrell figured their best bet was to lay low.

"Think we should hide out inside the church?" Tyrell asked.

Aria shrugged. "Sure. I would like to take a quick breather anyway."

They stepped inside to find that the cathedral was deserted, but still in good condition. Even though the electric lighting appeared to be working, there were lit candles everywhere, stalactites of melted wax hanging off of their stands. Tyrell decided to take a seat in one of the middle pews on the left-hand side. Aria sat down next to him.

"So, I guess it caught you a bit off-guard, expecting to be safe inside the walls of Nashville?" Aria asked.

Tyrell sighed. "I don't know, my brain just feels numb. Everything's been a blur."

"Well, that's the thing," Aria said. "You really can't trust too many people in the apocalypse."

"I just don't even know what to do anymore!" Tyrell said. "We really have no options, and relying on our own effort just to get by . . . hasn't exactly worked out too well."

Aria's gaze fell to the floor. "And that's why you really need to take the time to know someone before you decide to let them know anything about you."

"I know," Tyrell said, "and I'll admit I was stupid to let my desperation get to me like that. I can't believe I gave Marek my phone number!"

He pulled out his mobile phone, and threw it to the church floor, stomping it hard. He was not going to risk having Marek track them down so easily. The device was destroyed. Pieces came off, and the LCD was broken and flickering a blank screen.

Aria froze, dumbstruck. "What was that all about?"

"We can't let him find us!" Tyrell said.

Aria stared at the broken device. "So, what exactly are you going to if one of your friends or parents tries to call you?"

Tyrell shook his head. "Never gave anybody else my number. Besides, that burner phone is nothing with the money I've got on my debit card."

Not having the mental energy to stay alert, he slouched on the pew.