I. BOYS

Standing quietly facing the sun, my hair catches on to the passing winds. The me now is so many different shades of blue, I wonder if there are enough names to describe them all.

My eyes, and my lips. My shoulders and my arms. The breaths I take. My heart that beats. Ears that move at my will. A tail that brushes the back of my legs.

I am no longer human.

But I am happy.

"Amara!" An excited voice calls out to me. She comes tumbling over in my direction, sand kicking up with her every step. "All of us have been looking for you! We're going to make bracelets!"

When met with my gaze, the approaching Rui comes to a panting halt. She scans me to check if I'm as excited as her and deflates a little when she realizes I'm not. "We all know you don't like playing! So we thought you'd have more fun making bracelets since we see you making em' all the time!"

She continues in a slightly shy ramble but calms down when I grab her hand and offer a smile.

"I see you, Rui." I greet before speaking. She blushes when I clasp our hands and walk in the direction of the rest of our wildly waving friends. "I see you, Amara," she mumbles in return.

Rui is a puppy-like girl. Round eyes and pouty lips, with robin eggs for cheeks. She was as sweet as she was dull but children tend to become smarter with age.

"Being with my friends is always fun. Whether we are playing or making bracelets. So next time, let's do something that you all like." I make sure to say it loud enough so that the rest of them hear.

Tsireya, who is the closest giggles before moving to interlock our arms now that we are within reach. Kaia joins last, skipping to meet us. She leaps in my direction, arms tangling around me and Tsireya as a result. "I see you, Kaia," I lightly bump our heads. I take a step back to keep steady on my feet.

In this distant reef, they had somehow managed to make a Na'vi out of pure fire. Kaia was like a tumbleweed. Yet she had a temper that tangled and pulled at the hairs of anyone she could get her four-fingered hands on.

"You always disappear when we're not looking, Amara!" She pouts, pulling back from the hug to grab onto Rui. "I'm going to give my bracelet to you! And cast a spell on it so that we know where you are at all times!"

"We should just tie a rope around her waist!" Tsireya hugs my arms tighter. I laugh lightly, resting my head atop hers. "I see you Reya," I greet warmly.

Tsireya. Ever happy, ever beautiful, evermore. The daughter of Olo'eyktan. It would not be a lie to call her a princess.

The conversation does not slow even as we get closer to the marui pods. I lead us in the direction of my own to grab my bowl of craft supplies.

Rui and Kaia bounce as they walk, taking the lead ahead of us and hurrying to my home. They charge past the cloths I'd hung to the front and flop on my bed mats, rolling around in fits of giggles.

Tsireya lets go of my hand to join them, leaving me to get my supplies from the side.

"Amara! I want the bracelet you make today!" Rui huffs out from her tumble with Kaia who pushes her away with a growl.

"No way! Today is my turn!"

"But my birthday is tomorrow! I'm gonna be ten! That's two whole numbers! Don't you know how important the first double-digit birthday is!?"

"I still can't believe you're gonna be ten already. How did a kid like you manage to do that?"

"What do you mean kid!? And it's only natural for me to get older! What nonsense are you saying!"