IV. THE BEGINNING

After Ao'nung had died and come back to life at mine own hand, I'd been sat quietly before the Tsahik. Our words died on our tongues and our gazes were heavier than the oceans itself. I only dared to break the silence when she'd given a defeated nod.

"Where did you go?"

"The spirit tree."

"Why did you go there."

"I was called."

"By who."

"Eo Eywa oe 'ia. I lose myself before Eywa. She calls to me through the rain and thunder." I admit carefully to Ronal.

She watches me with big eyes, something flashing in them. "Oeru txoa livu." I lower my head to her. "Forgive me, Tsahik. I did not mean to kill him. Nor did I mean to save him. Selfishly, I claim neither. Forgive me."

"You were born from Eywa, girl. Who am I to forgive or forsake you?"

"He truly died?"

"Yes, he died. There was no breath. There was no heart."

"There must have been. Otherwise-"

"I am Tsahik."

"I doubt neither you, nor your skill. But he could not have been dea-"

"He was dead. And your mere words brought him back to life."

"If my words could bring life, then I would not be without mother nor father."

"Eywa is your mother."

"I am a child like a hex. A wicked man's cause and a kind woman's curse. So how can you look at me, and say I am a blessing? How can you?"

"How can you be so wise in your words, and so beautiful, and yet think yourself a curse? You are not your mother's killer. You are not your father's sin. You are Amara, who is patient and understanding, and who will be the future Tsahik of Awa'atlu."

"Tsireya should be Tsahik."

"The child who shall lead us in spirit deserves to be you."

Ronal gets up and begins to exit my marui, a smile on her face. "Think about it." She says in parting.

I do not respond.

▪︎ ▪︎ ▪︎

Breaking my isolation, I hear a gasping breath. I glance to my left and see the boy who has slowly become the bane of my existence.

He's wearing a nervous smile on his face. And almost as if to match his energy, the ilu beneath him sways side to side, like staying still is a task for it. I stare at him in trepid silence until he gains the courage to speak to me or leave me alone.

"Hello!" He makes his decision with an awkward greeting. My unmoving gaze puts him off, so he puffs up his chest to make himself seem a little more confident before me.

"Oel ngati kameie, Ao'nung. I see you."

He nods at me in return and then just continues to stare at me.

A boy with nothing better to do most likely. Thinking he'd wanted to take the spot, I'd lifted myself out my floating position, kicking my feet below me. Ironically, it startles him. He watches me with an even more bewildered look when I call for an ilu of my own.

"Where...!" He calms himself and quiets his tone when I look at him, "Where are you going?"

"Didn't you come here to swim? I will leave it to you. I only meant to lie here, of which I can do somewhere else."

"Uh...no! No. I just..."

"You just?"

"I will leave then. Until next time ite'Hārata."

"My hair!" He shouts embarrassingly. "My hair," he repeats, the sight of his face puddle like. Maybe he'd wanted to melt away into the reef.

To save him from his self inflicted shame, I smile reassuringly and guide my ilu towards him. "Would you like me to tie it up again?"

His surprise comes before his relief. He blinks at me, eyes wide and mouth a little bit ajar.

"Uh...yeah," he answers.

The Ao'nung I'd considered then was a boy too shy to ask someone to tie his hair for him. I did not think to myself otherwise.

But who would dare look at a well in the ocean, and forget how truly deep it could be?

Aside from a fool like me.

▪︎ ▪︎ ▪︎

"Still, my boy, he knows you. Let him know you."

Like always, I do not say the words on my mind. 'How can he know me', I wonder silently.

▪︎ ▪︎ ▪︎

forgot this existed and was published for a hot minute. why did i publish this, lol??? anyways, i guess the main girl is magical now. i don't fucking know. it's kinda wild. long live pining, though😄.

if it wasn't obvious i'm discontinuing this. i don't know why i decided to publish a story in the third year of my bachelor's degree. i'm a joke fr. but seriously, i love writing and i have other lame stories i'd like to share but i guess now is not the time for that, and six months ago wasn't the time for it either.

anyways, to the sweet kids who checked out this dumpster fire for a little while, peace, love and ao'nung! here's all the little excerpts i had remaining put away for the next chapter that never was.

adios,
leesa.