II. WARRIORS

There is a commotion towards the other side of Awa'atlu.

The distinct voice of the Tsahik and her tsunami-like temper catches my attention. I walk over in slow steps, approaching the small crowd carefully. I see Tsireya at the centre but she notices me before I call out.

"Amara," she says with a crease in her forehead. She holds out her hand to hurry me.

Next to her is a downtrodden-looking boy with upturned eyes. His gaze is focused on the Tsahik who is squatted in front of four other boys. I hold onto Tsireya's hand, leaning towards her to whisper in her ears. "What happened?"

"Ao'nung and the boys went past the reef. They were attacked by an akula and came back injured."

"But Olo'eyktan said that one who has not completed iknimaya cannot go past the reef alone. Why did they go?"

Tsireya watches me with that smile she always has when I speak like this. "Because they are stupid boys who are not smart like you and me." The boy who was next to her turned to us with a pout on his face.

"An akula is not something that we warriors should fear!" He says loudly. Almost loud enough for the raging Tsahik to hear. Luckily, she does not, too focused on shaking and pinching at the other boys.

"Then why did you not go, Rotxo? Are you not a warrior?" Tsireya teases him. At that, he turns away with a blush, inching away from us.

"That is Rotxo?" I blinked, voice still in a whisper. Tsireya laughs at me, a grin breaking on her face. "I knew you didn't remember who he was. And you were so confidently telling Kaia to approach him too. Do you see how stupid he is now?" She says beneath her breath.

"She did not even make the bracelet so what is there to apologize for?" I joke in return, trying to distract her from worrying for her brother.

She is about to respond when the Tsahik turns around, dragging a purple faced Ao'nung with her by the ear. The rest of the boys disperse towards their own parents behind her. Tsireya's smile drops when she sees the teeth marks on his neck and shoulder as if his throat was almost torn out.

"Did you not hear the boy? They are warriors. The Metkayina are hardy. He will be well." I tell her, placing my hand gently onto her shoulder in reassurance.

She nods, a smile returning to her face. "Want to come to our pod to play?" She asks, suddenly excited, clasping our hands tighter.

"What of your brother? Will you not comfort him?"

"He does not need comforting. He needs a brain."

I laugh softly, nodding and pulling her to follow her now distant but infuriated mother. When we reach their marui, I see Ao'nung sitting miserably in the corner, a slimy substance smeared on his shoulder.

I acknowledge him with a nod but Tsireya sticks her tongue out at him and then pulls me to her bed mat. We sit together and she takes out two ilu-shaped dolls carved from wood for us to use. We make them swim through the air, fight, sing, dance and many other things.

It grows old for me at some point but Tsireya's smile never leaves her face. So I keep my enthusiasm and make my ilu perform with all its might. I encourage her laughter and play fight with her merrily until a voice disturbs us.

"Tsireya, Amara!" The person says with a smile. We both turn to face them and note the appearance of the Olo'eyktan. Towering and mighty, tales written in ink are splattered across his face and shoulders. Tsireya greets him by running up to him and embracing him with a grin.

I, on the other hand, stand quietly to my feet, bowing my head. He approaches me with Tsireya now lifted and held in his hands. He pats my head affectionately, then looks towards Ao'nung who had been pretending to sleep in the corner for the few hours we had been playing.

"How long has he been resting?"

"Since mother had to summon the patience to stop herself from drowning him in the reef."

"Was it that bad?" He laughs happily, resting Tsireya back down next to me. "I could hear her all the way from my marui pod," I admit with a smile.

"You girls know how dangerous it is past the reef, right? Do not wander, even if it is for a momentary thrill. Your life is worth more than that."

"Ma sempul—father, we know. Our heads are not empty like a certain someone." Tsireya scoffs, setting her weight on me. There is an exasperated look on her face.

The Olo'eyktan nods with a smile before turning a little more serious. He directs his head out the opening of the marui. "Your mother has called for you, child. . Go."

Tsireya deflates a little,"Yes," she says defeatedly, "I will be back soon, Amara. Let's play again later. We can make bracelets this time." She whispers in my ear like usual.

She only goes to her father when I say, "Alright. Don't keep Tsahik waiting."

I watch them leave quietly and go to do the same when Ao'nung catches my attention. He shifts rather uncomfortably. Doing once more as he has been for the past hour. Twisting and turning with a concealed groan.

I notice how his hair keeps brushing against his injured shoulder. It scrapes and scratches painfully at his healing wounds. While all he does is push his braids high on his head before resting his hands at his side again.

"Do you want me to tie it up for you?" I ask. He flinches, surprised that he'd been caught. I expect him to continue his pretence but he sits up and looks towards me instead.

Never mind that it's the first time we've spoken despite being so familiar with each other.

Never mind that he's even avoiding his family and yet turns so easily to face me.

I step carefully towards him and kneel at his side. His eyes stay firm on me, watching me intensely. "Turn your back to me, it's easier to tie that way."

He blinks in realization but doesn't turn right away. He looks a little scared to stop looking at me. I wonder why. He stares even more deeply when I pull the twine from my own hair.

"It is for your hair. I promise I'm not going to use it to strangle you."

He finally turns and I adjust my position to behind him. I don't miss the quickening of his breath.

It makes me conscious of myself.

Maybe I smell.

"I totally believe you," he says breathlessly. I note that it is an attempt at joking so I smile and lightly chuckle to make him more comfortable.

I gather up his braids gently, amounting his shivers to the pain of his wound. "What was it like?" I attempt to continue our conversation, knowing that he'd gone past the reef seeking adventure.

"What?" He asks dumbfounded. I notice how his expression of shock shifts into one of pride when I say, "The mighty akula. What was facing it like?"

Coming out of his stupor, he begins telling me a tale. He shifts and moves a lot as he does so. It hinders me a little from fixing his hair properly, but I do not scold him. Instead, I do my best to react well and encourage him.

My first conversation with Ao'nung was one I did not really care for.

I had neither interest in fighting nor the animals past the reef. Still, I hope I made him feel a little better on that day he'd felt so ashamed that he could not even face his family.

They do not resent you, little warrior.