3

~~~~REBEL POV~~~~
A race was set up on main street to select the fastest dogs for the sled team that would race to Nenana to grab the medicine and race back here.

"Select the fastest dogs for the sled team to fetch the antitoxin. The race will run the length-." The man's voice that was announcing the race became indistinct as Balto and I hopped up onto a fence to see the start line.

"All mushers, get your dogs ready! The race is about to begin!" A man yelled.

"Balto, racing is a spectator sport. It requires very little preparation. You sit, you arrange refreshments. Do you like potato chip?" Boris asked as he popped what he thought was a potato chip, but was actually a soap cake, in his mouth.

"I'm not watching the race, I'm running it." Balto corrected.

"And I'm following him." I said.

"You said what?" Boris gasped as he spit the soap cake out.

"Hey, look, I'm gonna help Rosy get better. I can get that medicine through." Balto said as he jumped from one side of Boris to the other on the fence, Boris trying to follow him but Balto was too quick.

"First of all, get it through your head.....that they wouldn't put you in a sled team even if you did win, which won't happen. And if it did, it wouldn't matter! And they wouldn't even give Rebel a chance!" Boris rambled.

"Boris, did you ever think maybe you're the reason the other geese fly south?" Balto questioned.

"If only your feet were as fast as your mouth." Boris mumbled before a whistle blew, signaling the race was about to start.

"Hey! They're starting." Balto smiled. "Wish us luck." He said as we jumped off the fence.

"Luck? I don't wish you luck! I wish you sense!" Boris yelled after us as Balto and I ran to the starting line and shoved our way in between Nikki and Kaltag.

"You-Balto? Rebel? What, are you two nuts? If Steele catches you two, he's gonna turn you into kibble." Kaltag said frantically as he looked around for Steele.

"Steele can kiss my tail." I growled as my eyes narrowed at the race.

"Let us let the half-dog and the wolf run. It will be fun making them eat our snow." Nikki grinned, the other dogs grinning with him.

"Get set!" A man said and fired a gun, starting the race. We raced off, Balto and I running just behind Nikki and Kaltag. They glanced back at us before pushing against each other, trying to block our way, but we just ran on the right of them. We made the first turn of the race and Nikki kicked Balto off the track and onto the ice. I growled as I sped up and nudged Nikki out of my way. He tried to shove me off the course but I jumped over him and took the lead. I glanced to my right to see Balto racing us, running under the boats before climbing a boat and jumping in front of Nikki and beside me. Nikki slid to a stop while the rest of the dogs raced after me and Balto.

"Race you to the finish line?" I grinned at Balto.

"You're on." He grinned back. We ran faster around the last turn and could see the finish line in sight. Balto and I grinned at each other as we raced against one another. We were closing in on the finish line when I looked at Balto and winked at him before speeding up and crossing the finish line first, Balto right on my tail. The crowd cheered as the rest of the dogs crossed the finish line too. Balto and I panted as we grinned at one another. We heard barking and turned to see Jenna on the sidelines, Balto smiling at her.

"Okay, Nikki, Kaltag, Star, move it. We're strapping up." Steele announced as he walked past me and Balto.

"Hey, now, just a second here, Steele. Rebel and I were the fastest dogs." Balto said, making Steele freeze.

"You were the fastest.....what?" Steele asked. "Do you honestly think any musher would ever put you two on his team? You're even more mixed up than I thought." Steele said to Balto before turning to me, causing me to pin my ears back with a snarl. "And you. I'm surprised you're still allowed in town. No one would put you on their team if you were the last canine alive."

"Steele, it doesn't matter who's on the team. So long as the medicine gets through. Stop being such a glory hound." Jenna defended us.

"You're a hundred percent right, Jenna. I, I wasn't thinking about those children. The important thing here is to get the medicine through, and that's just what I'm gonna do." Steele said to Jenna before turning to me and Balto. "And when I come back, I'm gonna fold you five ways.....and leave you for a cat toy."

"Good dog, Steele!" A musher showed up and Steele started acting like a good dog, jumping on him and barking. "Good boy. Now let's take a look at our winners here. Let's take a look at our winners." The man said and reached for Balto but Steele stomped on Balto's paw, making him yell in pain, showing his teeth. "Ah, we can't trust this one. He's part wolf. He might turn on me." The man said as he and the man beside him backed away from Balto.

"See those teeth?" The other man questioned. The men backed away from Balto and turned to me, but immediately backed away from me.

"And this one's a full wolf. I don't trust her one bit." The musher said as he walked away. "Nikki, Kaltag, Star! Let's go!" The musher yelled. Steele smirked at us before turning and following the musher while snickering. We stared after them before turning to Jenna as she walked up.

"Balto, Rebel, I'm sorry." Jenna sighed.

"Better not talk to me, Jenna. I might turn on you." Balto said as he walked away.

"Balto, wait. Balto!" Jenna tried to stop him. She turned to me and opened her mouth to say something but I beat her to it.

"I'm not trustworthy, Jen. I might hurt you." I frowned before turning to walk away. But when I turned, I met eyes with Kaltag, who was standing with the chosen ones for the team. We stared at each other for a moment before I dropped my gaze to the ground and walked away.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
It was night now and everyone was lined up at the telegraphers building, where the sled team was ready to leave. I snuck past people as I squeezed myself to the sidelines, trying to see the team.

"As long as there's hope for those kids, I'll keep this lit. It'll guide the team back." The telegrapher said as he lit a lantern that hung up outside his door. I finally pushed myself to the edge of people and found the team. Or more precisely, I found Kaltag. He was in his harness attached to the sled but he was looking through the crowd, seemingly looking for someone. His eyes swept across the crowd before they settled on me, where a small smile appeared on his face. We held gazes for a moment before I turned and walked away. I made it through the crowd before quickly running to the boat me and Balto share. I wasn't surprised to see Balto already there. We watched the team leave town and I howled, praying that they get the medicine back in time.

~~~~3RD POV~~~~
Kaltag watched as Rebel turned and walked away, disappearing into the crowd of people cheering for his team. He frowned but shook his head and got himself ready for the journey.

"Star, Steel! Giddap!" The musher called and Steele started leading the team out of town and onto the journey to Nenana. "Giddap! Yeah!" The team left town, running across the snow covered ground. A howl suddenly rang through the air, making Kaltag smile as he knew who it was howling. The howl gave him confidence and he ran faster, determined to get the medicine back to the children and make you proud.